New Waterfowler - Sept Teal Season Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aa5b

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a little advice guys. I'm a long time upland, turkey, and deer hunter but have never gotten into duck hunting but I am looking to change that. Historically what have been others experiences during the September teal season in NW OK? I'll be hunting over a small farm pond with some timber and reeds surrounding it in Blaine Co. and I was just curious if I have a decent chance of success or if I'm wasting my time. Will be using a brushed in A-frame blind and small decoy spread with a mojo. Thanks for any info or advice! Thanks!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If the pond traditionally holds ducks, you should have a good chance. If not, the north end of canton lake can be pretty decent. It can get busy up there though. Goos luck! Looking forward to some pics.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Bwt like shallow water edges of small water. If it's a pond that doves like, bwt will also usually. Half a dozen decoys of any kind and a mojo, they're not smart. You won't be shooting GWT right now, you'd hunt those on the same water as you'd hunt Mallards and other big ducks. There are bwt here now in the northern and nw part of the state, do some scouting at first light between now and the 11th.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely focus on shallow spots, if it is a very deep pond like where I typically hunt, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. Don't worry too much about your blind, just stay hidden and still and you will be fine. I have found that teal are either there or not, no in between.

Good luck

PS - Watch for the snakes.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bwt like shallow water edges of small water. If it's a pond that doves like, bwt will also usually. Half a dozen decoys of any kind and a mojo, they're not smart. You won't be shooting GWT right now, you'd hunt those on the same water as you'd hunt Mallards and other big ducks. There are bwt here now in the northern and nw part of the state, do some scouting at first light between now and the 11th.
I have been hearing of some GWT in the area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom