Newb 9mm SBR??????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leemaxx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
For 2011 I'm looking to build a 9mm SBR Ar.(with a silencer but that will be last). I guess my question would be where to start? I would like to build it over the year so my initial thought was to register a lower and go from there but would I be better off buying a full rifle and modding it to my liking? Also what manufacturers should I look at? I know a few of you guys have built them and would like your imput. Also who should I use for the transfer/tax? I'm in Tulsa but figured on using one of the OKC guys.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Register a lower first.

I don't like cutting down a 16" 9mm barrel to around 5" so I'd say get a TROS 3 lug 5" barrel when your stamp comes back.

You can do the form1 on the lower yourself no biggie. I wold buy the can from Major Malfunction.

Leemaxx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I planned on using Major for the can, but I didn't know I should bother him with the lower. So once I set up a trust I can just fill out the form 1 myself? What about engraving?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can probably find an engraver in Tulsa. IMO it doesn't have to be engraved at any certain time, but it needs to be done before you have the parts to assemble an SBR. You can do it any time before. I wouldn't put the engraving in the additional markings box. It isn't really additional markings because they are expecting it to be there. I would keep the trust name as short as possible because you can't abbreviate anything that isn't an accepted abbreviation. Basically the only thing you can abbreviate is OK for Oklahoma. You'll need the full trust name with the city and state.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you are in Tulsa I would suggest you talk to Curtis Higgins about the cans he makes. Dealing with the Major is great, and he can get some excellent products but the quality of the can from Curtis is outstanding. If you are going to spend the $$'s on the stamp don't scrimp on the product(like I did initially)....

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use quicken it's the easiest. Just get a 2009 version and update it before you make yours (in 2010 they decided to charge extra for trusts). PM me your email address and Ill send you a sample form 1 for a trust.

I'd engrave first. On the odd chance something gets messed up I'd hate to go through the rig-a-ma-roo of fixing the lower or form 1. These guys in Tulsa are good to go... http://www.bhengraving.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom