Newb Q...whats your go to powder for 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Granted pickins are slim..what's your favorite powder for 9mm?

This seems to be the last thing I need to get some ammo cans full. I'm not looking to try to be a sniper with my Sig...but would like "quality factory load" type if not a bit better.
Whats better, 9mm or .45. There is no "better" powder.
To be honest you can load 9mm with any powder on the market right now if you observe pressures within the limit of the firearm.
Some slow burning powders might get the bullet stuck in the barrel, but I'm just painting a broad brush for example.
Personally here is the way I selected powders and its by pressure vs velocity. Pistol at close competition or combat ranges do not require precision loading. You can be kinda sloppy and not have any issues with accuracy staying within the manufactures recommendation. If one wants to go wildcat the liability is on you.
If one can get a lower pressure with the same velocity with a lower powder charge, it stands to reason you can load more rounds with a pound of powder although its a minimal thing.
It really comes into play when reloading for centerfire rifle. Pressures/powders/bullets/weights/brass, etc all become a factor at long range.
So, with the OP's request, I hope there has been some added data to get some of these folks that are on the borderline of reloading to get involved.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TiteGroup for 115-124gr bullets and WST for heavies. Both powders meter extremely well, produce low SD and excellent accuracy. TiteGroup burns hot FWIW. WST burns cool and I wouldn't use anything else suppressed.

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought some vitavory n340 to try in 40s&w cast loads. Works well. Of late I have been using it for cast 9mm loads due to prices/shortages on 9 mm fmj. It works well with cast and powder coated lead bullets. 125 gr . Works well in Walter ppq and Glock 23 with lone wolf conversion barrel. Charge weight min is 4.0 g. I use 4.1 to 4.2 for reliable cycling. 4.0 is too light. Of course the vitavory powders are pricey.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For full house speed demons, Accurate#7 is hard to beat. That powder was designed for +P and NATO rounds.

Universal is good for standard factory velocities.

Hp-38/Win 231 is good for mid-range.

My favorite for low powered casual shooting is RedDot/Promo. Just enough to cycle the slide. All the brass piles up 2 feet to my right.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom