Newb waterfowler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't seem to know anyone very well who hunts ducks and geese, but I really want to get some birds. So my current plan is just to go try it solo. I'll probably go buy a set of waders, some decoys, a call or two, and a shotgun this week. Yes, I do tend to jump in the deep end, lol. :D

I know it's a big/general question, but, any advice for a first-timer? Gear selection, places to hunt, scouting methods, loads, etc? Common mistakes you see new guys make? Reading material, websites, other learning resources you recommend?

I also have a small aluminum boat at my disposal, although it isn't camo'd.

Thanks in advance, y'all.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first advice would be to look at the regs. You only have 5 more days to hunt ducks in Oklahoma. A few more if you only target geese.

Check out these other sites as well. Lots of good info if you are starting out. Make sure and check out all the threads and not just the Oklahoma sections.

refugeforums.com
duckhuntingchat.com

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You'll enjoy it! Before you take the big jump, duck season closes statewide on Sunday, goose season runs a couple weeks longer.........some goose opportunities in march..........you might want to research what equipment you might want before you jump in with only a short time to hunt.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might wait til the season closes and watch CL for some decoys. I got 2 dozen last year for 25$. They aren't the best but they work. And calling takes some practice. I suck at it but I practice a lot and it helps.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the replies. I've been looking through the regs and researching the right public lands to go to. I went and shopped around Bass Pro and didn't see any very good deals on decoys, etc. I'll probably wind up following the advice to just wait on the better deals. Although, if I can figure a way to squeeze in one or two hunts in these last couple weeks of goose season, I would love to try it. Otherwise I'll get started with my calling practice.

Thanks again.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you hunt over water, just get you some GHG (Greenhead Gear) Hot Buy II mallard floaters. You can get a dozen or so for 25-30. I'd go ahead and texas rig em for about the same price (pre-rigged weights and swivels). You won't need a bag. Get some Winchester silver box 3" #2 steel ($12 or so). Be safe.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations. I assumed I'd have to hunt over water. Can you get them to land on the shore? Is it just a matter of decoy placement?

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations. I assumed I'd have to hunt over water. Can you get them to land on the shore? Is it just a matter of decoy placement?

Not on shore, but you can field hunt on occasion, if you can find where they are feeding.
It's tough getting it figured out on your own, I would suggest you buddy up with someone who can take you out, at least a few times. There are too many variables to try and learn from reading or a message board.
If you offer to pay for gas and breakfast, and help clean ducks, it certainly helps your chances!

Latest posts

Top Bottom