Newb waterfowler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a chef, I agree about not overcooking the duck breast. The pics that Porter posted are dead on for how the breast should be cooked if grilled or sauteed. Or if you'd rather, you can brine and smoke the breast for a "duck ham" or prosciutto if you wanted to brine and cook it without smoking. Smoking whole is also good.

The legs/thighs can be made into a confit, which is basically slow cooking them in their own rendered fat in an oven for hours until it's super tender. Then store in fridge submerged in the fat you cooked it in. When you want a piece, take it out of the fat, wipe off well and shred for any number of uses. You can use duck confit for enchilada filling, tossed with pasta, tamales, salads, egg roll filling, fried rice, ravioli stuffing, the possibilities are endless. Duck confit is truly one of God's greatest gifts to the duck chef.

I make a duck fried rice by de-boning the bird, reserving the meat, and making a stock with the carcass. Since it is an "asian" inspired dish I season the stock with a good amount of ginger, star anise, garlic, orange zest, white pepper, celery, carrot, and onion. I then use that duck stock to cook my rice. I dice the reserved meat (or use some duck confit as mentioned), and stir fry on high heat with more celery, carrot, green onion, water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, and orange zest. Depending on who may be eating it, I also throw in the heart and liver. With this dish, I use every bit of the animal from the bones to the meat and giblets.

Speaking of duck livers, a very good pate can be made as duck livers are some of the finest eating livers in the world. It is a more involved process that includes marinating the livers with brandy, shallots, garlic, pepper, salt, bay leaf and onion. After a day or so send the livers through a coarse-grind plate on the meat grinder, combine gently with eggs, cream, and additional seasoning if necessary. Bake in a water bath at fairly low temp in a terrine mold or brad loaf pan until thermometer reads 165. Let cool for a day or so. Slice and serve with crackers, minced red onion, cornichon pickles and a good dijon mustard.

There's also a hundred ways to make sausage by grinding them, seasoning aggressively and stuffing into some hog casings. Or hand-patty them with sage, garlic, and black pepper for a breakfast sausage. Or use sheep casings instead of hog for a breakfast link.

I could go on and on! Sorry to ramble, but there is so much versatility with a duck. It's a shame it is so under appreciated by so many who love to hunt them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a chef, I agree about not overcooking the duck breast. The pics that Porter posted are dead on for how the breast should be cooked if grilled or sauteed. Or if you'd rather, you can brine and smoke the breast for a "duck ham" or prosciutto if you wanted to brine and cook it without smoking. Smoking whole is also good.

The legs/thighs can be made into a confit, which is basically slow cooking them in their own rendered fat in an oven for hours until it's super tender. Then store in fridge submerged in the fat you cooked it in. When you want a piece, take it out of the fat, wipe off well and shred for any number of uses. You can use duck confit for enchilada filling, tossed with pasta, tamales, salads, egg roll filling, fried rice, ravioli stuffing, the possibilities are endless. Duck confit is truly one of God's greatest gifts to the duck chef.

I make a duck fried rice by de-boning the bird, reserving the meat, and making a stock with the carcass. Since it is an "asian" inspired dish I season the stock with a good amount of ginger, star anise, garlic, orange zest, white pepper, celery, carrot, and onion. I then use that duck stock to cook my rice. I dice the reserved meat (or use some duck confit as mentioned), and stir fry on high heat with more celery, carrot, green onion, water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, and orange zest. Depending on who may be eating it, I also throw in the heart and liver. With this dish, I use every bit of the animal from the bones to the meat and giblets.

Speaking of duck livers, a very good pate can be made as duck livers are some of the finest eating livers in the world. It is a more involved process that includes marinating the livers with brandy, shallots, garlic, pepper, salt, bay leaf and onion. After a day or so send the livers through a coarse-grind plate on the meat grinder, combine gently with eggs, cream, and additional seasoning if necessary. Bake in a water bath at fairly low temp in a terrine mold or brad loaf pan until thermometer reads 165. Let cool for a day or so. Slice and serve with crackers, minced red onion, cornichon pickles and a good dijon mustard.

There's also a hundred ways to make sausage by grinding them, seasoning aggressively and stuffing into some hog casings. Or hand-patty them with sage, garlic, and black pepper for a breakfast sausage. Or use sheep casings instead of hog for a breakfast link.

I could go on and on! Sorry to ramble, but there is so much versatility with a duck. It's a shame it is so under appreciated by so many who love to hunt them.

Awesome post!
Never was a fan of duck until I put a Mallard breast into some burbon/cinnamon brine that I'd made for some pork loin, then lightly tossed it in seasoned flour and fried it medium. Changed my attitude of eating duck. There's even a thread on it!

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MeatGrinder, if you ever host a cooking class, I will be the first to sign up. I read your post last night and I can't quit thinking about these dishes. Especially the fried rice and pate. I know if I tried it I would just butcher it though.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've never taught a class of adults, but I have conducted a few for some kindergarteners and cooking demonstrations for Cub Scouts.

I forgot to mention how much I love and use rendered duck fat. I would never, ever waste any skin as it is fantastic for rendering. Just put the skin in a pan with just a little water, turn on very low heat and cook until most of the fat is rendered into the pan. pour it all into a bowl or something, refrigerate, and when cold, separate fat from water with a spoon and save fat in a jar. The purpose of the water is to prevent the skins from burning during the long cooking process.
Use the fat to saute some potatoes, or, if you have enough use it to make some DUCK FAT FRENCH FRIES. It's in all caps because they're that good. Trust me, if you've never had DUCK FAT FRENCH FRIES, you may slap yourself silly for being deprived most of your life.

Even though I don't teach any classes currently, I'm always willing to trade some food prep, sausage making, smoking, etc.. for hunting access/trips for me and my sons ;)

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've never taught a class of adults, but I have conducted a few for some kindergarteners and cooking demonstrations for Cub Scouts.

I forgot to mention how much I love and use rendered duck fat. I would never, ever waste any skin as it is fantastic for rendering. Just put the skin in a pan with just a little water, turn on very low heat and cook until most of the fat is rendered into the pan. pour it all into a bowl or something, refrigerate, and when cold, separate fat from water with a spoon and save fat in a jar. The purpose of the water is to prevent the skins from burning during the long cooking process.
Use the fat to saute some potatoes, or, if you have enough use it to make some DUCK FAT FRENCH FRIES. It's in all caps because they're that good. Trust me, if you've never had DUCK FAT FRENCH FRIES, you may slap yourself silly for being deprived most of your life.

Even though I don't teach any classes currently, I'm always willing to trade some food prep, sausage making, smoking, etc.. for hunting access/trips for me and my sons ;)

We'll have to have a talk as next season gets closer......

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the awesome on this thread got turned up to 11!! Thanks to all for the responses.

@meatGrinder, awesome input. Thanks man. Duck fat fries are now a must for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom