newbie asking for shot placment advice..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadJeep

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
found a picture after discussing this with a friend, I assume the star is a little high as if it were a elevated shot from a stand or a up hill blind. While broadside would be ideal, that may not happen, but a ethical kill is important to me. So what shots will you NOT take. Also will you pass on a shot if it is questionable?

Attachments

• culling_roe_angles.jpg
    culling_roe_angles.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 201

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a lung/ heart shot I try to wait until the front leg facing me is put forward and shoot where it used to be in it’s normal position. Saves the meat on one leg.
Only took the Tx heart shot once. Biggest buck I’d ever shot at the time years ago fell instantly like a sack of taters.
When I walked up to it, the buck jumped up like nothing happened and took off across an open wheat field. Took two snap shots, missing, then knowing only one bullet remained, sat down and did a Quigley down under shot, taking my time, getting into the rhythm of the buck that was just trotting dead away and shooting. Hit the spine dead center and dropped him. No meat wasted. An inch or so either way and a hindquarter would have been ruined. More luck than skill on the shot.

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never take a pot shot, know what I want to shot, know what is behind, and will gladly pass up what I am unsure of. I can go to the store for food, the deer cannot go to the ER if I screw up, so they will suffer until they die. And, yes I did do that once and will not do it again.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've passed many questionable or iffy shots over the years. I'm pretty durn good at tracking, but don't really like to utilize those skills. I normally will take the shoulder shot, preferably like dennishoddy described. I don't really like the neck shot. I've seen some strange things happen with it. I've only taken the Texas heart shot once, and won't take it again. The deer was DRT, but it did create a mess.

Latest posts

Top Bottom