Newbie Cell Phone Questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I don't use it much, I'll go along with G-mail. For decades, the wife and I have had our primary e-mail at AOL, but there have been a few occasions that their e-mail is limited. I once had a guy want me to send him the full sized jpg file of one of my photos. As huge as those files are, AOL wouldn't allow it, so I sent it via G-mail.

While this might not be critical to you, were you to need to attach a number of documents or pictures to an e-mail, it would be then.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got an ATT Premier business account. Costs me $135 a month but I get 100gb phone data AND 100gb hotspot data, all at 5G speeds. I am on the road 28 days a month.

I think you'll find that 10gb will not last as long as you think. I had a 10gb account with Straight talk and tethered my laptop to it before I knew better. Theres a LOT of background communications going on... especially in W10. EVERYTHING on there wants to "report home". My 10gb was blasted through in 3 weeks. No heavy streaming. YT or music. First thing I'd do is turn off windows update. That alone will take at least a couple gig a month. I dare say! Keep an eye on your data usage!
Hehe... did you notice I had only used 204 MB in 5 days? At this rate I won't use 2G a month.

I'm running Windows XP, and am use to DIALUP data speeds.

Updates on EVERYTHING are turned off. Javascript is turned off, unless I turn it on temporarily for something specific (this was/is for virus protection as much as speed increase though).

I do appreciate your input, they're all good ideas. :thumb:

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hehe... did you notice I had only used 204 MB in 5 days? At this rate I won't use 2G a month.

I'm running Windows XP, and am use to DIALUP data speeds.

Updates on EVERYTHING are turned off. Javascript is turned off, unless I turn it on temporarily for something specific (this was/is for virus protection as much as speed increase though).

I do appreciate your input, they're all good ideas. :thumb:

I noticed. Didn't know you were running dinosaur bones for an OS either...lol. I dont think MS has ANY updates available for XP anymore anyway!

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use Cox internet for our business and get 10 email addresses with it.
Also I have 3 Gmail email addresses as well that's associated with various websites that we own.
They all work very well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heya @dennishoddy...

Just curious, what email service do you recommend?

I presume it ain't gmail...
:drunk2:
I've been using hotmail since the XT days. It's owned by Outlook now. Not sure if you can still sign on to hotmail. Seems I remember something about being grandfathered in and get to keep the internet address. I get very little spam, and have the ability to block those that do spam. Outlook is used by a lot of commercial businesses. My last employer, OG&E used outlook for their email service.
I do have a gmail account that I use for a burner. Say for instance I want to enter a contest to win a thousand rounds of 9mm from an internet gun site. I know its just an application that will be sold to advertisers but I don't care . I might win, and don't get their spam emails on my primary email.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you guys have any idea how to tell which tower your phone uses at home?

A while back, @blake711 sent me an aerial photo showing 3 towers in a rough triangle around us, but they're all 3rd party towers and I have no clue how (or whether) I can tell which one my phone is using.

Any ideas? Thanks.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Do you guys have any idea how to tell which tower your phone uses at home?

A while back, @blake711 sent me an aerial photo showing 3 towers in a rough triangle around us, but they're all 3rd party towers and I have no clue how (or whether) I can tell which one my phone is using.

Any ideas? Thanks.
There's an app for that. [emoji16]

I think the one I have is Open Signal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom