Newbie for this preppers stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So long time OSA member, very green newb to prepping. Without opening a can of worms 🐛 🪱 if I had a budget of say $1,500 what would you buy?

My obvious is food, water, security (I have pew pews and food for them).

so after the initial entry of $1,500 what should I focus on?

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you were starting from scratch I prepare an emergency kit. somthing that could be used for anything from a tornado to bug out bag. A roll around pelican box would make a great base.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good ruck with sustainment gear is where I would start. If you have an interest in "Bugging out" this is the crux of your plan so get a quality bag that is comfortable (enough) to hike in. If your plan is to "Bug in" (which is almost always better), you could focus more on preps to make your home able to operate without any grid stuff. Solar power, water filters, etc. Really in Oklahoma (because of the tornados) you should have a go-bag staged and ready with at least a few days of food/water/clothes for the whole family, medkit, enough cash money to rent lodging for a few days, and room for your important documents.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a few ways to cook, heat, wash. Have a couple sources of water, purifying, have alternative lighting sources. Have backup way to keep freezers, refrigerator cold. Start producing / preserving your own food. Depend less on someone else

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'd say you need to look at a couple of questions to start with:
1. Prepping for yourself or family. Need to figure out how many and what ages you are looking to prep for
2. Stay at home? or move your location?
3. prepping for TEOTWAWKI, GOOD, Local event (tornado, flood, snow/ice)
4. Duration of preps to be used.

I'd say start reading some books. Maybe some forums. Just beware that there are a LOT of Keyboard Commandos out there that just know everything.
Start small and build.

One of my biggest investments, I guess, was a good generator, having the house wired for using it and getting a bunch of gas containers before I needed them.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't believe in "bug out bags". Where are you going to go? I don't care how bad ass your lifted 4X4 is you are not going anywhere. I believe in a get home bag to get me home from work. All my supplies are at the house. Even if it gets flattened I will set up a tent in the yard. I have a bunch of Thrive freeze dried food that has a 25 year shelf life. I use the food on a regular basis. I don't store beans and rice, why? I don't eat beans and rice, so why should I store it? Store only stuff that you like to eat on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom