Newbie ? How to add Suppressor to Gun Trust?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if I understand correctly, the first can you bought was submitted as an individual. You then bought a second one and used a trust in the paperwork submission. Now you would like to have the first one added to your trust. The app is still pending on the first one or have you received the stamp for it? If you have not yet received the approval then you can contact the ATF and say you wish to cancel that application and resubmit using a trust. They will refund your $200 in a few weeks. They can be a little slow or they might surprise you. At least this will keep you from having to pay for a second stamp to move it to your trust. The downside to this is it will move you back to the end of the line on wait time. Only you can decide which is more important, time or money.

Redsnake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trying to clarify. The 1st Suppressor (Surefire R2) is in my friends possession (I believe he got it f/a supplier) and I gave him the $$ for it, however it's never been in my possession nor have we submitted any paperwork (paper or e-file) to get it into my possession... he still has it (like a retail store would). A couple weeks later, separately, I set up an online account w/ Silencer Shop, bought the $205 Tax Stamp and NFA Gun Trust $129.99 and set up an e-file ATF account. Signed and Notarized. Passport Photo and Fingerprints all done using the fingerprint Kiosk at Sports World and bought another suppressor (2nd one) thru them. That process is currently finalized on my side and pending ATF Stamp approval.

Back to trying to figure out the process of getting the 1st Suppressor paperwork or e-file done, another Tax Stamp, Adding this to my NFA Gun Trust ... it's confusing. My friend is waiting on approval to become one of Silencer Shops dealers so hopefully once he get's that all lined up we can go w/the NFA Gun Trust already set up and I can just buy another $205 Tax Stamp and add the Surefire R2 data to that and wait for approval.

Apologies if I'm repeating or running on and on. Thanks for the input and hoping I can get this worked out soon.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you simply add the silencer that your buddy is holding for you when your stamp gets approved, from what I understand adding to an established trust doesn’t take as long as the first stamp.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it works out, I’m always thinking about adding one but the wait seems aggravating and the one I have is fine, but it is old and not as interchangeable as I would like.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trying to clarify. The 1st Suppressor (Surefire R2) is in my friends possession (I believe he got it f/a supplier) and I gave him the $$ for it, however it's never been in my possession nor have we submitted any paperwork (paper or e-file) to get it into my possession... he still has it (like a retail store would). A couple weeks later, separately, I set up an online account w/ Silencer Shop, bought the $205 Tax Stamp and NFA Gun Trust $129.99 and set up an e-file ATF account. Signed and Notarized. Passport Photo and Fingerprints all done using the fingerprint Kiosk at Sports World and bought another suppressor (2nd one) thru them. That process is currently finalized on my side and pending ATF Stamp approval.

Back to trying to figure out the process of getting the 1st Suppressor paperwork or e-file done, another Tax Stamp, Adding this to my NFA Gun Trust ... it's confusing. My friend is waiting on approval to become one of Silencer Shops dealers so hopefully once he get's that all lined up we can go w/the NFA Gun Trust already set up and I can just buy another $205 Tax Stamp and add the Surefire R2 data to that and wait for approval.

Apologies if I'm repeating or running on and on. Thanks for the input and hoping I can get this worked out soon.
Ok so suppressor 1 is still on the books of your friends license. Then all you have to do is have him help you fill out a form 4 under the name of your trust you have already established for the second can purchase and send it in. It doesn't matter what name he put on the receipt when he sold it to you. It still technically belongs to him whether money has exchanged hands or not until a form 4 is approved and a tax stamp is received. Then he can transfer it to you. Then you simply add the newly received suppressor to your Schedule 1 trust holdings document and share the amended form with all your trustees.

I am a little concerned that your friend that has his license can't explain this to you. He really needs to know his chit when dealing with class 3 items or he will get his a$$ thrown into the Ironbar Hotel. He would have had to have the suppressor transferred to him via a form 3. As a business owner and class 3 licensee, selling an NFA item via a form 4 to a buyer is one of the simplest things he will have to do paperwork wise.

Redsnake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so suppressor 1 is still on the books of your friends license. Then all you have to do is have him help you fill out a form 4 under the name of your trust you have already established for the second can purchase and send it in. It doesn't matter what name he put on the receipt when he sold it to you. It still technically belongs to him whether money has exchanged hands or not until a form 4 is approved and a tax stamp is received. Then he can transfer it to you. Then you simply add the newly received suppressor to your Schedule 1 trust holdings document and share the amended form with all your trustees.

I am a little concerned that your friend that has his license can't explain this to you. He really needs to know his chit when dealing with class 3 items or he will get his a$$ thrown into the Ironbar Hotel. He would have had to have the suppressor transferred to him via a form 3. As a business owner and class 3 licensee, selling an NFA item via a form 4 to a buyer is one of the simplest things he will have to do paperwork wise.
Thanks for the info. After the hassle this process has caused I don't think he's going to sell anymore NFA items. Plus he told me he's not making any money so in my opinion it's not worth the hassle on his end. But again, the first time is always the hardest I think figuring out the entire process. This is a side business for him... so mostly I wanted to help him out and get my first suppressor to boot. He was talking about doing a 'firearms transfer' w/the can to Sports World and then I could just go thru them, but still figuring it out. I'm not in a huge rush, but I'm also out $1200 and waiting so I'd like to get the process finalized and then just wait on the ATF.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From my recent purchase from Silencer Central.....I already have one silencer purchased several years ago via trust set up by US Lawshield since I'm a member. .....Silencer Central just did a second trust for the new purchase. You can have unlimited trusts.....easiest to just do another trust rather than adding to an exsisting one.

Silencer Shop

Marksman
Reaction score
Hello, @Redsnake. Your new FFL should be able to transfer the RC2 to your trust, but since you already have a Silencer Shop profile with the trust information uploaded, it may be easier for you to Form 3 (Dealer transfer) the new suppressor to a Powered by Silencer Shop dealer, and have them submit the eForm 4, as they can link the suppressor to your account which has your trust attached to it.

Redsnake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello, @Redsnake. Your new FFL should be able to transfer the RC2 to your trust, but since you already have a Silencer Shop profile with the trust information uploaded, it may be easier for you to Form 3 (Dealer transfer) the new suppressor to a Powered by Silencer Shop dealer, and have them submit the eForm 4, as they can link the suppressor to your account which has your trust attached to it.
Thanks for that!! My new FFL was thinking that might be the best way to go so we could get the ball rolling. I'd also need to buy another $200 Tax Stamp for this RC2 correct?

Latest posts

Top Bottom