newbie learning about parts(need help)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeromebill7718

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
look for letters at the end of the barrel near the flash hider. The bolt carrier group should have some printing on it and you can probably tell where the upper was made by the foundry mark. It will narrow it down.

Things like the fire control group (like trigger and hammer) don't really matter neither does the firing pin etc.

People just want to know about the Lower and barrel and to a lesser extent,,,
the furniture, bolt carrier group (which usually comes with the bolt) and upper

things like firing pins, muzzle devices, detents, springs, buffers, etc really don't matter that much

jeromebill7718

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not looking to sell or Trade @ all (just looking for info) plz

traded for a couple clean nice looking AR pistols but have no idea how to determine what kind /brand of parts are they made of. hoping a few of you maybe able to offer some helpful info. mainly the uppers or more expensive parts.

not familiar with the optics, solosun seems to work but I don't think either are sighted in. the trijicon seems to work but the mount seems to move some so it may need to be tightened up a little. remove or replace ? thoughts

1. one is 9mm on a KE Arms Billet lower (said it cost $1,600 to build). being New to AR's not at all sure about how to find out what other parts are there or who makes them, since there are not many makers marks, numbers or anything an untrained eye can see. your help appreciated on barrel, what kind of break this is, if the lower and upper are made by the same company /also bolt etc if so. I have other pictures just trying to get some basic info my service may not be great ATM so they were taking to long.

2. Second one is on an Aero lower it has 5.56 on the barrel, same questions it is left handed with a different BCG than I have ever seen. unique flash hider or whatever it's called on a pistol.

had a few guns I didn't want and the gun show had a few guys with AR's they didn't want anymore. just swapped for them no cash on either end. one guy said someone owed him money and gave it to him and he didnt want a pistol AR, the other guy knew more but it didn't make sense to me, all Greek. both weapons seem nice and almost like new overall condition, maybe high quality nice builds.

AR-15's are so easy to build that people will buy a used lower and a used upper or a discounted one off the internet and throw a really nice grip and a cool handguard from WISH and say it cost $32K and it is Brand new and a special edition.

Even of the lower is mid or even low priced like Anderson (good as Colt but not as much resale price in the future) and say...look, it has a $15.00 magpull grip. They paid $9 for it because it was a blem but it retails for $25. so it has to be worth $32,000.00 right?

I remember when people were filling the engraving in used Spikes lowers with fingernail polish or crayon and selling them for $250.00 and they were like...Ya, this is the new limited edition with the spider on it, you better buy this one because they don't male them anymore.

If you have a rifle that has mixed parts it is not custom. People buy guns and take uppers, bolt carrier groups, handguards and buttstocks off and sale them because they don't want them or they are crap. People buy those parts for (hopefully) a reduced price and put a gun together and (hopefully) sell it for more than they put into it.

I was trying to sell a lower once and thus guy was like...well, maybe if it was a complete gun then he wanted me to build it for him and put what he wanted on it then he lowered the price on me. I ended up basically doing all that work building the gun for him for free and when it was all over I lost money. It was like I broke free on the parts, put them on the gun for free and just gave him the lower.

jeromebill7718

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy a colt defence M4 marked law enforcement and military for a good price, Put a different handguard or buttstock or pistol grip on it, keep the parts you take off and kick back and watch it go up in price. or a bushmaster or if you don't have that much money just get a Anderson, They are all milspec but $600 colts are $1,200 colts today and they will be $2,000-$2,500 in 20 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom