Newbie reloading question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I measured the OAL of the casings on .243 max length is 2.045 on average the OAL of the ones I have measured at 2.035 can a case be too short?

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2992864A-A134-481E-9B32-9E8A29419AC0.jpeg
I just seen this so don’t trim past 2.035 correct?

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys this stuff is marking me nervous I don’t want to miss something. I have the hornady delux lock and load kit it came with everything but a case trimmer I guess

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have a book. Before reloading I would suggest to get a Hornady, Speer, Nosler, or Sierra reloading book and read it front to back. Everyone was new at reloading sometime. Go slow and understand each step before proceeding.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. Go slow, and make certain you understand why you are doing each step.

Reloading is not difficult, but it is detail intensive. If you are not detail oriented, don't reload.

Get a book, read it, and read it again. Pay attention to what you are doing.

And, have fun !

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have a book. Before reloading I would suggest to get a Hornady, Speer, Nosler, or Sierra reloading book and read it front to back. Everyone was new at reloading sometime. Go slow and understand each step before proceeding.
Yes I have a book I have been reading it and watched every video on every step several times I just like double checking on something if I have even a stupid question better to ask than end up with a damaged firearm or worse

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have ran many cases .020" short of what trim length was and there was no issue in doing so.
Accuracy may have suffered but until you prep the snot out of the cases and sort and weigh and set powder charges to the exact granual you probably will not notice the shorter trim length.
Unless you crimp of course.
I intentionally cut some .308 way short so i did not have to trim for 20+ reloads. they still shot sub moa.
That is a different story though..
After you reload for some time you will discover what makes the most differences for you and your rifles.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom