Newbie reloading question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have ran many cases .020" short of what trim length was and there was no issue in doing so.
Accuracy may have suffered but until you prep the snot out of the cases and sort and weigh and set powder charges to the exact granual you probably will not notice the shorter trim length.
Unless you crimp of course.
I intentionally cut some .308 way short so i did not have to trim for 20+ reloads. they still shot sub moa.
That is a different story though..
After you reload for some time you will discover what makes the most differences for you and your rifles.
Bad advice to a new reloader

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I have a book I have been reading it and watched every video on every step several times I just like double checking on something if I have even a stupid question better to ask than end up with a damaged firearm or worse
That double checking on something and asking is the correct way while you discovering the fun and benefits of reloading.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no one else to ask lol it’s all confusing choosing a powder brand and such and what grains to use where to start a lot of things books don’t tell you

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ask away please. Some have vast experience in reloading for rifle, some in handgun and a few in both. I load many, many rounds of .45 ACP for my 1911's that I shoot bullseye with. I am very confident to give advice in that round. I also load .308 and .458 SOCOM, I am not as experienced in the rifle rounds and literally have a step by step checklist. In time you will get it down to a no brainer, until then just follow the book to the TEE in my opinion and enjoy the learning process.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s what I’m talking about if you haven’t had experience in loads how do you pick a powder that’s going to work good without spending money on bullet and powder combinations that don’t?

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You start with the book, knowing what you desire the round to do and you select the best choice for your intended use. Starting at or just above the lowest recommended powder weight, you experiment with a few rounds adding or subtracting powder as necessary. Never exceeding the max powder charge. Here is a 243 load that is right up the middle that is a proven deer load.

90gr BTHP 41.0 gr IMR 4350 2,870 fps 2.775" OAL Win LR primer
90 gr Swift scirocco 2 bullet. I trim the case .01" under max. I use Lee neck resizing dies and lee bullet seater. RCBS rock chucker press, RCBS trimmer and beam scale. Just the stuff that came with the kit years ago. I shoot this out of my Howa Thumbhole sporter. 22" barrel 1-10" twist. I have full floated the barrel myself and did a trigger job myself to get it to 2.5 lbs. This load holds 5 shot 0.5" groups at 150 yds. I have used this round to take 2 whitetails. The 1st at 52 yds. Broadside. hit behind shoulder. jellied the lungs and left a 1.25" hole going out. No real meat damage except the meat very close to the wound. 2nd deer was at 183 yds same broadside shot, same placement. Lungs were jelly, only difference was a 1" exit hole. Both deer took 1 full step, started to lose balance, then took 1 small steadying step, then fell over kicked and expired. Needless to say I’m happy!! (From handloads.org)

YMMV, but after you select the bullet to fit your needs and powder, you will find the right combo through range time.

David

Latest posts

Top Bottom