Newbie to reloading question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I been studying head spacing all day and I been looking at hornady interlock bullets they have a cannuler around the bullet so the best I can tell is I need a crimping die and does that do away with head spacing? Man I know I’ll catch hell hell for this question

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You do not have to crimp all ammo even if there is a cannelure.
Some guns and ammo work fine without a crimp others do not.
You can crimp with a Lee factory crimp die anywhere on the bearing surface of the bullet even if there is no cannelure..
That is if you need to crimp.

Some bullets are critical to distance to the lands others are not, you can have them .200" off or .001" off.
That is part of reloading giving the gun what it wants.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with your question, if you don't know, you don't know......at least you are smart enough to ask for help!!

Headspace has nothing to do with bullet seating.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/02/understanding-headspace-what-you-need-to-know/

accurateshooter.net_pix_headspacevideo1602.png

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
more of a liability thing and safety thing for them.
357 mag 45 acp and even 30-30 I do not crimp.
None of my rifles get a crimp .243-.308, 30-06.
Some rounds/guns have wicked recoil that will set the other bullets in the gun not being fired back in the case deeper .
that is when a tighter neck tension or a crimp is needed.

What caliber are you playing with?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crimping is not necessary in most bolt action rifles and may actually hurt accuracy. I sometimes crimp rounds for large caliber dangerous game rifles because recoil can cause the bullet to slip in the case neck while still in the magazine. Same thing can happen on big bore revolvers.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No reason to crimp any of those.

If you do decide you want to crip for some reason, you can usually do so with most bullet seater dies. Seat the bullet to the cannelure, then back the seating stem way out so the bullet won't be seated deeper, next, run the loaded cartridge back up into the die and screw the die body into the press until you feel the die contact the loaded case. After you feel it touch the case, screw the die in a little at a time and run the loaded cartridge into the die......examine the loaded cartridge after each adjustment and stop when it is crimped to your satisfaction.....when you have the die adjusted to crimp the loaded round, tighten the nuts on the die so it can't move in the press, then, run the loaded cartridge into the die and adjust the bullet seating stem down until it firmly touches the bullet. You may have to adjust the bullet seating stem slightly lower after you load the next cartridge to get the seating depth correct.

Last edited:

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No reason to crimp any of those.

If you do decide you want to crip for some reason, you can usually do so with most bullet seater dies. Seat the bullet to the cannelure, then back the seating stem way out so the bullet won't be seated deeper, next, run the loaded cartridge back up into the die and screw the die body into the press until you feel the die contact the loaded case. After you feel it touch the case, screw the die in a little at a time and run the loaded cartridge into the die......examine the loaded cartridge after each adjustment and stop when it is crimped to your satisfaction.....when you have the die adjusted to crimp the loaded round, tighten the nuts on the die so it can't move in the press, then, run the loaded cartridge into the die and adjust the bullet seating stem down until it firmly touches the bullet. You may have to adjust the bullet seating stem slightly lower after you load the next cartridge to get the seating depth correct.

Latest posts

Top Bottom