Newbs in Classifieds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killerpigeon

Native off the Reservation
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will say this, I stumbled upon this forum, went straight to the classifieds, saw a nice Springfield Armory XD I wanted. Became a member right there, met the guy the next day, got my pistol. I've been around, and you guys have had to put up with me ever since. So, maybe give the newbies some breathing room, but I can also understand the concerns.

Second, I think this current concern is due to the times. With such a huge demand for firearms and firearms accessories, OKSA is bound to get more traffic with new people. I know this is a community, and some of us are like family, but we have a great opportunity to start a conversation and welcome people aboard. Just maybe we can turn some of these "one time buyers" into supporting members.

Lastly, when you go to the local gun store, do they require a number of visits, conversation, or your support before selling you a firearm?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

killerpigeon

Native off the Reservation
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Next Tuesday, 10:00 at Big Boys Gun and Ammo (and range) down in Mustang. Ask them to put you next to or near Joel Drury. I'll bring the Hellcat and a couple-seven or so of my Walther PPK, or PPK/S pistolas.
You better be there! I've been wanting to have a meet up and shoot with some other members. I'll bring some of my toys also.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I will say this, I stumbled upon this forum, went straight to the classifieds, saw a nice Springfield Armory XD I wanted. Became a member right there, met the guy the next day, got my pistol. I've been around, and you guys have had to put up with me ever since. So, maybe give the newbies some breathing room, but I can also understand the concerns.

Second, I think this current concern is due to the times. With such a huge demand for firearms and firearms accessories, OKSA is bound to get more traffic with new people. I know this is a community, and some of us are like family, but we have a great opportunity to start a conversation and welcome people aboard. Just maybe we can turn some of these "one time buyers" into supporting members.

Lastly, when you go to the local gun store, do they require a number of visits, conversation, or your support before selling you a firearm?

No, because the seller is behind a counter, the gun is behind the counter, there are usually several other people around and you know for sure that nothing suspect will happen because it's not you and some other person that you have zero knowledge about prior, in a parking lot somewhere exchanging a handful of cash for a gun :)

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’m cross dominate, didn’t know it until I tried to shoot trap and started learning how to shoot firearms correctly. Your accuracy issues are most likely not due eye dominance ;)

So am I. I’ve learned to keep both eyes open and hard focus on front sight. I might learn to squeeze instead of jerk the trigger next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So am I. I’ve learned to keep both eyes open and hard focus on front sight. I might learn to squeeze instead of jerk the trigger next.

I am left eye dominate and right handed. I shoot pistol right (can also shoot left) and shoot all long guns left handed. I have found that a pistol optic helps the best.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought and sold a few items on this site over the years, never had a bad experience. What I don't get is why would you lock a thread you are trying to sell something in. Afraid of a response? Just makes no sense to the point I would not buy whatever it was even if it was an item I wanted.

2nd pet peeve why delete the thread or hide the price after an item is sold. How is anyone going to determine the value of the widget they have if they can't see what another one sold for?

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought and sold a few items on this site over the years, never had a bad experience. What I don't get is why would you lock a thread you are trying to sell something in. Afraid of a response? Just makes no sense to the point I would not buy whatever it was even if it was an item I wanted.

2nd pet peeve why delete the thread or hide the price after an item is sold. How is anyone going to determine the value of the widget they have if they can't see what another one sold for?

I get your point and agree, but from someone who has ran a few forums over the years, the reason some places delete sold posts is to save on storage space. Storage space is the MF of the cost of running these types of forums. One of those picture threads that goes for 2-3 years, eats up a ton of data. Especially here since you can upload the picture yourself and not host it somewhere.

The closing off discussions in a for sale add on a "discussion forum" is beyond me though.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

I’ve done it both ways. When a seller allows comments some people sometimes chime in with comments unrelated to the actual sale of the item. I’ve been guilty of this myself. When you allow no comments anyone who has a question can send you a PM. Personally, I’d just as soon not sell or purchase from someone who is unwilling or unable to send a PM. A potential buyer or seller and I then usually exchange phone numbers and arrange a meet up time/place.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We can only suggest you deal with established members. I know new members have to start somewhere, but the classifieds isn't that "somewhere" imo. Lately newbs in the classifieds hasn't been as much of a problem as long established members feeling like they need to save everyone by commenting that the asking price is too high, buy it or move along. Let me say this again...........

If you want to buy the firearm, buy it, if you don't move along, you don't need to comment unless you're interested or have a legitimate question(s).........you don't need to save other OSA members from a price that may be too high, everyone of us is capable of doing our own research about pricing during this time. Same goes for ammo, buy it, ask a question if need be or move along. I'll also remind everyone that with every classified ad you create, you are capable of locking the thread so that others can only contact you by PM if that's what you desire.........should you leave the thread unlocked, you also have the ability to delete any unwanted post in your thread. Enjoy your evening folks! :) :)

To me, the huge bolded text implies screaming at me like I’m a little kid. This doesn’t encourage the recent pleas for monetary support for the site because of lack of supporting funds. I feel that the older members of the site are concerned about the deterioration caused by the newbies who have no interest in participating in what I’ve always considered my “OSA family”. IIRC I was the 26th member to join when this site started. Since the “minimum meaningful post count” rule went away, newbies come here to sell and that’s it. They don’t care about the family, just the money. My list of ignored newbies is growing because of the gouging.

Look at some of the threads where members have helped each other or made donations to help their families in crisis or asked for prayers. These are just a few of the things that make us a family.

Yeah, it’s your site and you make the rules, but we have feelings too and when we get smacked for voicing our opinion, it raises the hackles on a lot of us.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
They don’t care about the family, just the money.

One thing the forum owner and some newbies have in common in my opinion. The main reason I’d like to see the forum owned by long time members that actually participate in the discussions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom