Newbs in Classifieds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I came here for the classified section. I didn't sign up until I found something I wanted to buy. That was about a year ago. Then figured out if I keep an eye on the forum I might learn a thing or two. At least a chuckle every now and then. I have only recently started posting my 2 cents. I guess the question is this a Forum with a Classified section, or online individual gun sales for Okies that also has a Forum.

It has long been a forum with a classified section but seems to be changing as of late. You should post your 2 cents and get to know some of the people here. A good place to hang out....for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, Im bringin a .454 Casull. Like Lays potato chips "Nobody can eat just one."

I just got one upped over the 10mm, I remember some old sort of animated cowboy movie back in the 90’s that had the bad guy with a .454, wrist twisting fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me, the huge bolded text implies screaming at me like I’m a little kid. This doesn’t encourage the recent pleas for monetary support for the site because of lack of supporting funds. I feel that the older members of the site are concerned about the deterioration caused by the newbies who have no interest in participating in what I’ve always considered my “OSA family”. IIRC I was the 26th member to join when this site started. Since the “minimum meaningful post count” rule went away, newbies come here to sell and that’s it. They don’t care about the family, just the money. My list of ignored newbies is growing because of the gouging.

Look at some of the threads where members have helped each other or made donations to help their families in crisis or asked for prayers. These are just a few of the things that make us a family.

Yeah, it’s your site and you make the rules, but we have feelings too and when we get smacked for voicing our opinion, it raises the hackles on a lot of us.
Be careful --- feelings and voicing opinions are what the left does and that doesn't go to well round these hurr parts.

But seriously, in my opinion, in the world, no one, or a very very small percentage of people, really care. It's always about the money. I've got family that's all but abandoned me because I don't share the same political or religious beliefs as they do. I've worked places with some great people that abandoned me as soon as I left. There's a lot of good times to be had on OSA, whether trolling the dumbs that think I'm serious all the time or having actual discussions, but I'm also pretty aware there's probably not a single person on the board that would legitimately, truly miss me if I was to die today. For all the "family" talk, I've been told I should be buried in people's lakes, should go jump off a cliff, that the world won't miss me, etc etc on here plenty. Not a real family feeling.

Not trying to debbie down the board or the folks here, but that's just the way it is IMHO. How we react to that varies. We could encourage people to come along for the giggles, we could add them to ignore lists, we could silently laugh and be happy that maybe we get the chance at the "deals". Whatever. If it ain't hurting anyone then let it go. I sure bet that most people have found this site by the classifieds. If anyone wants to move out from there they can, or if not then again, is it hurting anything?

All of us were newbies at one point. I'm glad a few members took a chance on me. :thumb:

But it is kinda frustrating with so many new members joining/selling all of a sudden. It seems we're getting a year's worth of new traffic per month now. :anyone:

Unfortunately, I don't have all the answers (Ha! I don't even have all the questions).
:drunk2:

I joined back in the day when there was a min post count. That was back in the day when I didn't know near what I do now. If I remember right, even back then it was hard to join a discussion or ask questions because a lot of folks on here always know more, are always right and love to be snarky about it. I'd venture that it's worse now. Heck, I know it's worse now --- I play to that to get people going when I'm bored. Point being that getting in the initial posts was an exercise. But I'm like you --- on one hand I kinda feel like there should be a minimum and I also kinda feel like it should be open.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have kicked this topic around, pro and con, but there is one question that hasn’t been addressed.

Exactly what problem is caused by new member posts in the classifieds, and what will be accomplished with minimum posts requirements?

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
We have kicked this topic around, pro and con, but there is one question that hasn’t been addressed.

Exactly what problem is caused by new member posts in the classifieds, and what will be accomplished with minimum posts requirements?

From my perspective we have many new people who come here just to post in the classifieds. They are unknown to most and have 0 established feedback or other contribution to the forum. To me, it’s a forum first and classifieds second. I realize others may not feel that way. To pose it another way, what problem is it to establish yourself and contribute to the forum before posting items for sale? Is it a real “problem” either way? Probably not but just my opinion. I guess we can make it a Craigslist for guns instead of building rapport among like minded shooters on various topics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Other than what was mentioned above, min post count would prevent some one in Morocco from joining at 1am and sending out mass PMs to folks in the classifieds and telling them to email their great uncle at the given email address and he'll buy what the OSA member is selling. Nobody falls for it of course but it's a pain to clean up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom