Newby Advice on buying dies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like Lee's pistol dies, in my opinion they produce ammo that is equal in quality to any other brand I have tried. The Lee factory crimp dies are worth twice the price. Lee's rifle dies are ok, but I feel other brands produce more consistent ammo. RCBS are good, Hornady's are good. I've never used Redding, they have a great reputation. Jerry's Outdoors had plenty of RCBS 223 dies in stock last weekend at a good price. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a set of 9mm dies in stock anywhere in months.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also mainly use a rock chucker for both pistol and rifle. I have had really good luck with the lee carbide dies for pistol rounds. I don't use anything else lee as I don't like their presses and other equipment, but the dies have always been great. Stick with carbide dies though for everything.

For rifle I mainly use RCBS and have had good luck with them. Reddings are also great just expensive and that was years ago, have no idea how high they are now. You can't go wrong with either Redding or RCBS though.

The Lee universal decapping die is also AMAZING and I have put literally 10's of thousands of rounds through it, if you can find one get one and get some Squirrel Daddy hardened decapping pins off Amazon. The original Lee decapping pin will last a while, but once it breaks those Squirrel Daddy ones last forever.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you get up to Tulsa, Jerry's and Dongs have lots of dies in stock at realistic prices.
Not that $80-110 crap on Amazon,ebay and gunbroker
they also have powder and sometimes bullets for near regular pricing.
Everybody is crazy on primers.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you expound on this?

I will just say that these are the only ones I have had trouble with. The old Hornady dies were fine. I own quite a number of them and they serve me well. But, their customer service sucks and I do not like their new line of dies. I use other Lee products, but not their reloading dies. For one thing, as I think someone else said, you don't get as consistent results. They don't seem to be held to as close tolerances. There are lots of choices out there.

Cwolf88

Marksman
Reaction score
I use Hornady dies almost exclusively I load 9mm,40,45,38spl,30-30,6.5 creed, 300 win, .223, 300 aac all with hornady dies. Yes there are nicer sets that are easier to set ect but once you get the hang of them I have had zero issues. Also for $45 a set hard to beat. Keep an eye on Cabela's they pop up there periodically and can have them shipped to the store or house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom