Newer model Hemi work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Starting to look like my 2013 Ram is developing a known issue of premature lifter failure and subsequent wear on cam lobes. I just rolled over 100K and paid it off too.

Can anyone personally recommend a shop in the OKC area, preferably the east side, that has experience with top end work on 5.7L Hemis? Gonna need a new cam, lifters etc...

Hopefully I caught it early enough that no other damage has been done.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see a lot of those cams come into the Willhoite cam shop.
Some have 70,000 miles and failed and one guy told me he has 165,000 miles and still good.

I asked the people with failed cams how often they change oil and they said when the vehicle tells them to change it.
The guy with 165,000 and no issues uses full synthetic oil and changes oil and filter every 3,000 miles.

I am curious as to what oil and how often you changed it.
Those cams are VERY soft. Willhoites will not grind them. They are just going to fail.

I do not know who works on them though.
I did see there are finally some aftermarket cams for them though.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mobil 1 full synthetic at regular intervals for synthetic oil, no more than 6k between changes (well inside Mobil’s and Ram’s recommendations). Some guys are losing their cams at 45k! That ain’t about oil and intervals lol. An engine shouldn’t require heroic efforts that exceed the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule to live past 75k.

No hard use either. Mostly highway commute and very occasional light utility trailer pulling. This also isn’t my first vehicle that I’ve run past 100k. Had a Gen 2 Ram that I drove over 200k with nothing but routine maintenance.

They’ve basically acknowledged the problem is the lifters...as they changed suppliers and part #s around 2016, but they did it quietly and never issued any sort of recall or TSB.

Latest posts

Top Bottom