1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Newspaper calls for coordinated attacks on Trump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SlugSlinger, Aug 11, 2018.

1. SlugSlinger

SlugSlinger Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Another fact from Trump now admitted and supported by the actions of the media. What is the media trying to accomplish? 100%, perfect record?!? A record of all news media being negative against Trump?
    Newspapers are irrelevant today, but they haven’t quite figured that out yet.

Newspaper calls for war of words against Trump media attacks
    August 10, 2018, 4:38 PM CDT
    BOSTON (AP) — A Boston newspaper is proposing a coordinated editorial response from publications across the U.S. to President Donald Trump's frequent attacks on the news media.

"We are not the enemy of the people," said Marjorie Pritchard, deputy managing editor for the editorial page of The Boston Globe, referring to a characterization of journalists that Trump has used in the past. The president, who contends he has largely been covered unfairly by the press, also employs the term "fake news" often when describing the media.

The Globe has reached out to editorial boards nationwide to write and publish editorials on Aug. 16 denouncing what the newspaper called a "dirty war against the free press."

As of Friday, Pritchard said about 70 outlets had committed to editorials so far, with the list expected to grow. The publications ranged from large metropolitan dailies, such as the Houston Chronicle, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Miami Herald and Denver Post, to small weekly papers with circulations as low as 4,000.

The newspaper's request was being promoted by industry groups such as the American Society of News Editors and regional groups like the New England Newspaper and Press Association. It suggested editorial boards take a common stand against Trump's words regardless of their politics, or whether they generally editorialized in support of or in opposition to the president's policies.

"Our words will differ. But at least we can agree that such attacks are alarming," the appeal said, acknowledging that newspapers were likely to take different approaches.

Pritchard, who oversees the Globe's editorial page, said the decision to seek the coordinated response from newspapers was reached after Trump appeared to step up his rhetoric in recent weeks.

At an Aug. 2 political rally in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, Trump told his audience that the media was "fake, fake disgusting news."

"What ever happened to the free press? What ever happened to honest reporting?" the president asked, pointing to journalists covering the event. "They don't report it. They only make up stories."

Pritchard said she hoped the editorials would make an impression on Americans.

"I hope it would educate readers to realize that an attack on the First Amendment is unacceptable," she said. "We are a free and independent press, it is one of the most sacred principles enshrined in the Constitution."

2. swampratt

swampratt Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I never understood people buying the newspaper. Only thing it was good for was coupons.
    But I do not like the news stuff. 1/2 or more of it was false.

It is good for covering parts before you paint, cleaning glass, soaking up oil, pet bedding, starting fires,weed control in the garden and I bet a few more things I can't think of at the moment.

3. cjjtulsa

cjjtulsa Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I never understood newspapers taking sides in any politics; aren't they supposed to be "news outlets"? Endorsing candidates and taking sides has nothing to do with reporting the news. Sorry, Marjorie Pritchard: they are an enemy of the people.

4. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    What happened to reporting FACTS?

5. Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox Sharpshooter

Too much of the "news media" has gone from reporting the news to trying to create or shape it.

The only predictions I need from the news is from the meteorologist.

GlockPride likes this.
  6. Annie

Annie Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Even the meteorologists are more into spin and less into providing helpful information these days. Drives me nuts! (Yes, short trip, but still ... lol)

RETOKSQUID likes this.
  7. golddigger14s

golddigger14s Sharpshooter

Supporter
    These day "FACTS" will not be tolerated!

RETOKSQUID likes this.
  8. RETOKSQUID

RETOKSQUID Sharpshooter

No kidding, even their grammar has gone to hell. Lord knows that mine isn't the best, but if I'm noticing it, it has to be bad.

bigred1 likes this.
  9. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Not only newspapers but even ESPN is spreading the rhetoric instead of reporting on sports.

Free Trapper likes this.
  10. Hawker800

Hawker800 Marksman

Liberals drinking more Haterade.