Next question - "All" setting on 1-2-All battery switch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What happens on a boat that has a 1-2-All switch when you switch to 'All' (both when motor running and when off)???

I have one of these in my open bow I/O and I typically run on one or the other battery and then can use the second battery only if I run down the battery that was being used for most of the day of an outing.

If I use the 'All' setting, will the alternator charge both and also will the stereo draw power from both? This is not a newer boat with a smart system that manages this; it is just a battery switch and two batteries.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
What happens on a boat that has a 1-2-All switch when you switch to 'All' (both when motor running and when off)???

I have one of these in my open bow I/O and I typically run on one or the other battery and then can use the second battery only if I run down the battery that was being used for most of the day of an outing.

If I use the 'All' setting, will the alternator charge both and also will the stereo draw power from both? This is not a newer boat with a smart system that manages this; it is just a battery switch and two batteries.
Got a meter? Check the batteries during operation and without the engine running. Check for current draw with the amp meter function or go buy one at NAPA.

Last edited:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The switch works just like it says it does. When it's on 1 it pulls from and the alternator charges 1. Same with 2. On All it draws from both and charges both.

If you're sitting around on the hook all day listening to music and drinking cold pops, do not set it to all. You will need a jump to get back to the ramp. Use 1 or 2 and when the battery goes dead and the radio quits playing it's time to go home. Switch it to the other battery, start the engine and then switch it back to the dead battery. If you're far enough from the ramp you'll get a little charge before you put it back on the trailer. Don't ever switch it to "off" while the motor is running. You'll fry your alternator.

When charging you can switch it to all and your charger will charge both batteries without you having to move the cables.

Latest posts

Top Bottom