Next Watch Repair/Restoration - 1970's Nino Day/Date - This one had issues! - Pic Heavy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, great work @thor447
I was wondering the same thing about your taking on work. I have a Hamilton from the 40’s that I had repaired four years ago (new main spring) and just last month it died again. There literally isn’t anyone in Oklahoma I can find that works on these oldies. I also have a NUMBER of old pocket watches but one specifically (it’s a 5 or 7 jewel, I can’t remember which) I’d like repaired if possible. I’ll have to get in touch with you to see if it’s work you’d be interested in tackling. 👍🏻
Thank you for the kind words. Please send me a PM at your convenience with some details/photos of what you’d like looked at and I’ll be happy to help if I can.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s incredibly impressive. Incredibly impressive.

I’ll get with you in the coming days/weeks on my little pocket watch. I’m still not in a rush.

Keep posting. Great reads.
Thank you. I’ll be around. Feel free to contact me at your convenience.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This makes me want to start an Easter egg hunt for a birth year watch to send your way, hahaha.

I wear a smart watch all the time now, but certain occasions call for something a little more classy and I have always been fascinated by watch mechanisms.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This makes me want to start an Easter egg hunt for a birth year watch to send your way, hahaha.

I wear a smart watch all the time now, but certain occasions call for something a little more classy and I have always been fascinated by watch mechanisms.
I’m on the hunt for the same thing. I’ve never owned a birth year watch.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are really great, and also serves to remind us with classic watches why saying "Why can't you just fix my watch for $20 and call it good?" is ill informed and terribly rude, though it may not be meant that way.

mn_danger

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really appreciate the content of your posts. I have been recently thinking about learning how to build watches. I have a dream of building /modding a few seiko divers for myself and my kids.

How did you learn how to work on these?

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really appreciate the content of your posts. I have been recently thinking about learning how to build watches. I have a dream of building /modding a few seiko divers for myself and my kids.

How did you learn how to work on these?
I was always intrigued by them, and would watch some of the watch repair channels on YouTube. When I decided that it was time to learn, I started paying more attention to those videos and soon I was able to follow along with what they were doing and seeing patterns in how watches were built. Eventually I felt like I could tackle one for myself.
All of the knowledge in the world is great, but until you handle the parts yourself, it doesn't fully prepare you. I quickly learned the value of quality tools, and while I could take apart a watch and put it back together, I realized that I basically had zero clue how to troubleshoot problems like low amplitude, end shake, side shake, regulation, etc. Another thing the videos don't show you is how to read the technical manuals, how to properly lubricate a watch, etc. That's where the courses came in handy. I eventually found a couple of online forums that provided a lot of this info, but I'd sincerely recommend taking some courses once you have a basic understanding of the insides of a mechanical watch.
It's a rewarding hobby, and I'd be happy to help you if you decide to take the plunge.

FWIW, I think building some Seiko divers is a great way to get in. I am a big Seiko fan, and have some divers myself. One of my very first projects was repairing and modding a Seiko PADI diver that I bought off of eBay. I wear that watch regularly. I thought about doing the same thing you described, and buying up several old vintage non-runners off of eBay, restoring them, and giving them as gifts for Christmas (probably next year).

Latest posts

Top Bottom