NFA Background Check and wait times

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipv125

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone elaborate on the background check process for NFA items and why it takes so long? I have a clean criminal history and I have a concealed carry permit what are they looking for when it comes to purchasing NFA items? Thank you!

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wish I knew.

I own several Class III items and it takes a long time each time. You would think that it would be "OK, he owns some and we haven't taken them away, he's good to go." but no.

I have the clean record
I have the CCW
I have the multiple previous purchased Class III
I have an FFL
I have a DD214

But each and every time I have to go thru the process and send in new fingerprints.

Put in for a suppressor in December. Probably have another 3 months waiting.

Longest wait in the past was (I think) 18 months.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I, too, am a tax stamp collector. Own multiples, waiting on my last one (for now) to be approved. Check cashed Apr 16, 2021 on Trust Form 4.
I’m also a ccw, no criminal background, US Fed Gov contractor and more, still have to wait like every other swinging dude.
Here’s to hoping that once more of the paper forms get completed that the eForms will start sailing through.

hipv125

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The guy i talked to said the FBI does a very thorough background check? What are they looking for if they have my prints and they can run an NCIC check? My credit score is pretty good haha

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They supposedly werk fer we the people’s.
They have a public facing number
(304)616-4500
Give em a call and ask, they are nice folks (we pay em a mint!!!) to discuss various things of the NFA nature.
Post up what they are saying nowadays if you don’t mind.
I guarantee they have better intel than “some guy”

James Abram

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The shear volume of NFA forms creates a backlog in the whole system. All of the NFA forms are processed in one office that has 8 examiners. Although it only takes a few minutes to get the form processed and background check done, the volume of forms is what causes the back up. Each examiner can process approximately 10-12 forms a day, so 8 examiners can do at most 100 forms a day. They have 10’s of thousands of forms to be processed, hence the wait time. NOW WITH THE NEW EFILE SYSTEM WE ARE SEEING FORMS APPROVED IN 40-70 DAYS!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked on my form 4 I got in the mail today
signed it may 6th 2021 mail carrier delivered may 31 2022

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got this email today!! I can’t believe it got approved this fast. I originally filed on 4/6/22.
7BF250FB-0CD6-41AC-BD3B-327DEBD0FBC3.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom