NFA & Home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have been thinking about this, and thought someone might have the answer. If you were not home and a wife, girlfriend, or anyone else that lives with you were to use your SBS, SBR, Silenced Pistol, Minigun or whatever, to defend themselves and/or the home, but they are not the registered owner of the NFA item, and you are not around. What kind of trouble would that cause? Would it be no big deal? I know people say don't use NFA for defense cause the jury will think you're a ninja assassin and the cops will play with it in the evidence room and ruin it but... aside from that what are the legal ramifications?

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have been thinking about this, and thought someone might have the answer. If you were not home and a wife, girlfriend, or anyone else that lives with you were to use your SBS, SBR, Silenced Pistol, Minigun or whatever, to defend themselves and/or the home, but they are not the registered owner of the NFA item, and you are not around. What kind of trouble would that cause? Would it be no big deal? I know people say don't use NFA for defense cause the jury will think you're a ninja assassin and the cops will play with it in the evidence room and ruin it but... aside from that what are the legal ramifications?

If you are an individual owner or you have a trust and your wife/gf/etc.. is not listed on the trust, how is it that they have access to the NFA item? The NFA item must not be available to anyone not listed as the registered owner (individual or trustee). If these unauthorized people have access to the NFA item while you are not around then they (and you) are already guilty or an illegal transfer of the NFA item. I doubt if local LE would charge you with anything, but ATF certainly could.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
So even a spouse is considered illegal transfer if they aren't co-owners on a trust?

If that's the case, all the more reason to do the trust route when getting into NFA if one is married. No way my wife is gonna let me have a safe and her not have the combination to it, and I wouldn't want it that way either.

good to know... good to know

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are an individual owner or you have a trust and your wife/gf/etc.. is not listed on the trust, how is it that they have access to the NFA item? The NFA item must not be available to anyone not listed as the registered owner (individual or trustee). If these unauthorized people have access to the NFA item while you are not around then they (and you) are already guilty or an illegal transfer of the NFA item. I doubt if local LE would charge you with anything, but ATF certainly could.

what if my wife is on the trust but not a trustee?

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perhaps I used the wrong word. By "trustee", I meant anyone on your trust.

so, she should be good to go knowing the combo to my safe?
Damn, so much for using the gubment as an excuse, now how will I hide my new purchases?

Thanks for clearing it up!!!
:thumbup3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom