NFA wait times and what they mean

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipv125

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a 22 suppressor and certified my eform on 5/26 at H&H in OKC through silencer shop. When I sent my form in the current wait time was 105ish days. Per silencer shops website the wait times on average now are 180 days. Obviously what’s happening is let’s say they’re getting in 5K orders a day and they can only process say 2.5K so the wait times are going up. Would you guys think I’d be closer to 105 days for my approval or 180 days based on your experience. Thanks!

Aviddigi

New to the site!
Reaction score
First time posting here. But have been lurking since moving to OK. For reference I am at 170 days for two in jail at Wilshire. So the 180+ is going to be a more legit timeline. Counting from the day the ATF check was cashed.
Gone are the days when I was able to get my DeadAir/RC2 within 70 days. I am sure we will be back to paper 300/400+ wait times shortly.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you applied december 26th 2021
And everything went as it should, you would have been approved in about 60 days. What happened was word spread about the new system. By april there was over 1 million applications.(bottleneck)
They hired new people which slowed the system as they were trained.(bottleneck)
While atf hired new people nothing was mentioned about the fbi which does the background checks (another bottleneck)
As they get slower and slower the applications pile up.
The next slowup are the applicants calling constantly. For every 5 minutes on the phone an application gets pushed to tomorrow.(bottleneck)
Then there may be the washington antis telling them to take their time, gun owners can just wait. (Bottleneck)
The only reason the line is moving at all is joe needs the cash for his next give away program.
I applied dec 23rd 2021 on my last one and was approved jan 30 2022
I Beat the rush.

Last edited:

hipv125

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome, so I will probably get approved in January lol. I really want to get an RC2 for my ARs a 9mm suppressor and a Mk18 SBR. I guess ill order those in December and can hopefully get them by Christmas the following year lol.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started paperwork, real paper, in November 2021. Still waiting.
Started an eform in July and was told, 5 months.

I think my longest wait, paper paperwork for a FA, was something like 16 months.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Calling to check status does not slow anything down. The folks at NFA Branch that answer the phones are not examiners. Their only job is to answer the phone. Now if you ask to speak to an examiner for some trivial matter, that can slow things down.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started paperwork, real paper, in November 2021. Still waiting.
Started an eform in July and was told, 5 months.

I think my longest wait, paper paperwork for a FA, was something like 16 months.
Completed one. Applied 5/20/21
Approved paper in hand 5/30/22
Think it was exactly one year the ten days for it to come in mail.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Average wait time means just that...average.
If average is 6 months, some will get lucky and get theirs back in 1 month somehow and someone will be unlucky and take 11 months.
Seems the more you try to guess and bank on it being a certain time, the less likely that is to happen.

My first can was submitted when average was 6 and it took 11. Next two tool closer to average

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Average wait time means just that...average.
If average is 6 months, some will get lucky and get theirs back in 1 month somehow and someone will be unlucky and take 11 months.
Seems the more you try to guess and bank on it being a certain time, the less likely that is to happen.

My first can was submitted when average was 6 and it took 11. Next two tool closer to average
Kinda like penis size, haha. The association of lucky/unlucky is inversed though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom