Nice bass from Sooner Lake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it really only a mile?!?!?! Always seemed like two or three to me! I HOPED we wouldn't catch anything!
No doubt. That was the place when you struck out, you cut the bait loose, toss the junky fishing gear in the lake, leave the styrofoam cooler and grab all the beer you could carry for the trek across the Badlands, back to the car...

Google Earth shows 1.07 mi. if you stay on the goat trail..

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No doubt. That was the place when you struck out, you cut the bait loose, toss the junky fishing gear in the lake, leave the styrofoam cooler and grab all the beer you could carry for the trek across the Badlands, back to the car...

Google Earth shows 1.07 mi. if you stay on the goat trail..

I know you can't drive a boat up that channel, but how far is it to that spot from where you could pull a boat up?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know you can't drive a boat up that channel, but how far is it to that spot from where you could pull a boat up?
3/4 mile or so. There is a line of buoys across the no access area but it kept breaking. OGE put up a sign showing the restricted areas, but every so often a boat would be right up in the discharge area and anchored.
I would stop in there if I saw them and let them know they were in a federally protected area and they needed to leave. Most did, one didn't with three guys in the boat. Got a go FU response.
They got met at the ramp by the Game ranger, Don't remember the fine, but it was substantial.

If you fish sooner in a boat, do yourself a favor and look at the sign on both boat ramps. It will save you a lot of money if you violate the protected zones.
If you walk into the Discharge Area, don't even get your shoes wet. It's illegal to wade in the discharge area, and the GW gets up in the building behind the pic I posted and glasses the fishermen. Then he drives down there and writes tickets.

Worked there for almost 16 years. Rarely missed a day to take the 5 min walk at lunch to fish the discharge, and sometimes hit it before work and after work.
Got spoiled for fishing elsewhere.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, I have to call BS on the story. You don't catch bass like that unless you have a $50k+ boat that sparkles in the dark.

That's an awesome fish! I enjoy seeing the guys that just do basic fishing, school the people that have a ton of gear.

That's what I've been telling folks. Ain't no way he caught that with anything but a $25 Yozuri crank bait out of a $50K boat. [emoji23]

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, I have to call BS on the story. You don't catch bass like that unless you have a $50k+ boat that sparkles in the dark.

That's an awesome fish! I enjoy seeing the guys that just do basic fishing, school the people that have a ton of gear.

LOL, I've been on both sides of the coin! Fwiw, my biggest came on a 1/4 oz beetle spin in a farm pond. I don't even know how much it weighed because those old zebco spring scales were notoriously inaccurate, but it was definitely over 10#.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, I've been on both sides of the coin! Fwiw, my biggest came on a 1/4 oz beetle spin in a farm pond. I don't even know how much it weighed because those old zebco spring scales were notoriously inaccurate, but it was definitely over 10#.
My biggest bass came out of a Florida pond when I was 10 using a cane pole and white bread, catching bream. Caught one and had seen the bass around, so I let the bream swim while hooked. The bream completely disappeared as this beast came out of the shadows. I didn't have a scale, but I remember struggling to lift it out of the water while laying on my stomach on the dock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom