NICS delay...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penywisexx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to be delayed all of the time on my background checks, but in the past few years I have been getting cleared each time (though the wait is usually 20-30 minutes each time). On Saturday I transferred three stripped lowers at 2A and the process took about 35 minutes to get a proceed. Today I went to pick up a 10/22 Takedown (a gun broker transfwr) at JMS Tactical and was delayed. I am beyond frustrated now, I know I will get a proceed in a few days but the wasted time and trip is annoying.

Has anybody here applied for a UPIN? How long does it take to get and does it work 100% of the time?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to be delayed all of the time on my background checks, but in the past few years I have been getting cleared each time (though the wait is usually 20-30 minutes each time). On Saturday I transferred three stripped lowers at 2A and the process took about 35 minutes to get a proceed. Today I went to pick up a 10/22 Takedown (a gun broker transfwr) at JMS Tactical and was delayed. I am beyond frustrated now, I know I will get a proceed in a few days but the wasted time and trip is annoying.

Has anybody here applied for a UPIN? How long does it take to get and does it work 100% of the time?

Did you fill out your SSN?

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a registered sex offender living in New York State, who has the same name I do so I give my SSN on the 4473. Never been delayed.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be aware that (as far as I know, which is based on experience with exactly one customer who has a UPIN#) you will still be transferred for "further review" with a UPIN#. NICS wait times right now are such that you can expect to wait 30-60 minutes to get a "proceed". Again, this is my experience with exactly one customer, who, previous to getting his UPIN#, was always getting delayed.

Penywisexx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do give my SSN, guess I am stuck waiting it out. Unfortunately I have lost out on purchases before at gun shows due to the delay. Now I just ask dealers to transfer to dealers I personally know and sit out the wait.

Michael Armstrong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a delay every 4473 I have ever filled out with the exception of a stripped lower one time that came back in about 30 seconds. Typically my delay is a minimum of two days before proceed. Which is the main reason 90% of what I buy is used

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No rhyme or reason why a person like me can be delayed for 3 days to instant approved. It used to be thought that if you had an open background check, security clearance, repeated background checks for jobs, etc. that was the cause. Now I think it is that FBI examiners have a pile high checks with less examiners working and the ones that are working take long lunches and smoke breaks.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

There was once a deviant who had the same name as you, except he didn't have the xx suffix. I'm guessing that's the reason. :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom