NICS denial act

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's that saying we always use. "We don't need new laws, that just need to enforce the ones we already have"?

That is only a summary of the act. It will help when we see exactly what is meant by delayed.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got denied back in 2012 or 2013. When I got the call from the ATF agent informing me of that, I was able to have the FFL who sold it to me sign it back into his book and hold it for me while I sought to have the denial reversed. The denial was due to a restraining order taken out in New Jersey in 1989. Restraining orders don't die in NJ--a judge has to kill it. I finally discovered in 2014 that a judge had dissolved the restraining order in 1992. The denial was based on out-of-date information from the police department that issued the initial emergency order. With that information, I appealed the denial. The FBI reversed it in January of 2015.

I wonder what would have happened to me if this was law back then. Would I have been prosecuted because of a failure of a local PD 1,200 miles away to keep their records current or would I have been exonerated and not have to wait over two years to have my rights restored?

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Resurrecting..

Just read an article that this is now implemented. It quotes an FBI email dated 9/22 obtained by gun owners of America, confirming the personal address requirement to FBI applies to both denials AND delays. If you get delayed, don't worry about it though. I'm sure you can trust the FBI to properly handle the data.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well… when is enough enough?
So if you have a popular last name and ever get delayed here’s your warning, I guess.
View attachment 291394
'Tis but a small step from requiring, by law, the personal information of those denied a firearms purchase to requiring, by law, the personal information of those NOT being denied a firearms purchase, me thinks!

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what we have been wanting for years, “they need to enforce the laws currently on the books”. Be careful what you call for…..
This is not enforcing the laws on the books. If it were it would omit delayed individuals. A delay in NOT the same as a denial.

Latest posts

Top Bottom