night vision scope recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the OSA posts on night vision are more than 4 years old and technology has changed a bit. Had very good input asking about binoculars so will ask on new subject. Looking for night vision for 300 BO in quiet mode for hogs and switching to 223 in not so quiet mode for coyotes. Hogs destroying one brother-in-laws wheat fields, shots less than 150 yards. Another B-I-L has purchased 15 goats and getting coyotes coming around the pens. Setting up tripod deer stand and shots might be out to 200 yards. Maybe use the scope 20 times over the next year.
I have demoed a $4k NV scope that was amazing. Just not in the price range of someone retired. Under $1,000 is my budget. The review of ATN a few years ago had issues with updating software and locking up so that they were useless. I have been hesitant to purchase one used as I don't want someone else's problem.
As both guns have scopes setup for there intended use, 2-7 on BO and 4-12 on 223, a rail mounted unit in front of the scope would be nice. Wheat fields will require an IR light, pens may have enough.
Looking for what has worked/not worked for others.

Grendelshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bering optics hogster 35mm works phenomenally well. I can see the pigs across our pond (300-500 meters) pretty clearly. Clear target ID is pretty easy within a couple hundred yards. I have to get mine zeroed too, but we’ve got so much going on I haven’t had a chance to get out and stack piggies with them yet.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bering optics hogster 35mm works phenomenally well. I can see the pigs across our pond (300-500 meters) pretty clearly. Clear target ID is pretty easy within a couple hundred yards. I have to get mine zeroed too, but we’ve got so much going on I haven’t had a chance to get out and stack piggies with them yet.
Holy crap, where are you getting Hogsters for less than a grand? I'm all over that.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went the cheap route. ThorLT. None of the stuff you don't really need. Right around a grand out the door. But you will not find a clip on for that kind of money. You're going to be twice the price of the above referenced Hogster for an entry level one at 4 to 5K. I've read bad things about ATN customer service, but I haven't had to use it so far.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an ATN X-Sight HD 3-14 that I picked up from a member here sometime back. Haven't used it much but I've had no issues updating the firmware or anything else. For your use they would be a good option I think. Go with the newer 4K as you get better resolution when zoomed. And by all means add the $99 battery kit for the buttstock. Running AA's will just piss you off but the addon pack runs for hours and hours. Also get a different IR light, the ones supplied are trash. I got a Streamlight that runs on two CR123 batts and it has a very surprising throw range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom