night vision scope recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an ATN X-Sight HD 3-14 that I picked up from a member here sometime back. Haven't used it much but I've had no issues updating the firmware or anything else. For your use they would be a good option I think. Go with the newer 4K as you get better resolution when zoomed. And by all means add the $99 battery kit for the buttstock. Running AA's will just piss you off but the addon pack runs for hours and hours. Also get a different IR light, the ones supplied are trash. I got a Streamlight that runs on two CR123 batts and it has a very surprising throw range.
A buddy has one but it's really heavy. I looked at one of the new 4k still seems heavy, guess a bipod could solve that. Look forward to hearing more about it in use.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heavy? Absolutely! They are definitely that and the rifle you mount it on is going to be a gun used in a stand or blind. You aren't going to be wanting to hump it around much.

ETA: There's a 4K in the classifieds right now.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a Sightmark Wraith, it’s infrared not thermal but seems to work real well.

I don’t have a lot of time put in with it yet but it’ll do everything I need. Plus it was $500.

I would recommend the Sightmark Wraith as well. I have been around the night hunting of hogs for awhile. Presented with a $1000 budget, you will be well served with the Sightmark Wraith and possibly upgraded the IR light for extending the range of it and saving the extra money. Customer service is top notch (likely won't need it).

A local gun store won't carry ATN anymore because of all of the issues with upset customers and returns.

Night vision is best used when sitting in stands (hunting from one spot) where you are familiar with the background before hand.

Sightmark Wraith allows you to save 5 different sight in profiles. With a quality QD mount you can move the scope between 2 guns and easily switch to the profile used to previously sight in.

I often times pull my thermal scope off to scan and then reattach using the QD mount for shooting.

Last edited:

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been watching videos online forever trying to figure out which direction to go on a night optic. There are aspects of the thermal I like and some infrared points as well. One thing I’m considering is the video recording capability. I’ve been told that a lot of pig hunting customers want to be able to have the video option available as a consideration. Since I’m being overrun by feral swine I’m looking at starting to offer pig hunts on the ranch. If the opportunity exists to turn the dang things into posts and wire I can’t see a reason not to.

Right now I’m leaning towards the Wraith 4K Max after watching Retrievermans brother and Hans for hours and hours. Since this thread has kind of gone dormant, which way is everyone oing now?

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I have been watching videos online forever trying to figure out which direction to go on a night optic. There are aspects of the thermal I like and some infrared points as well. One thing I’m considering is the video recording capability. I’ve been told that a lot of pig hunting customers want to be able to have the video option available as a consideration. Since I’m being overrun by feral swine I’m looking at starting to offer pig hunts on the ranch. If the opportunity exists to turn the dang things into posts and wire I can’t see a reason not to.

Right now I’m leaning towards the Wraith 4K Max after watching Retrievermans brother and Hans for hours and hours. Since this thread has kind of gone dormant, which way is everyone oing now?
I sent you a PM

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I dont think you can go wrong with the wraith 4k at that price point.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think you can go wrong with the wraith 4k at that price point.
I haven’t gotten to handle a lot of units, but that one is a contender for the money. It looks like it takes really nice video. The ATNs are feature rich but it seems like everyone is having hell keeping them working. I haven’t heard much bad about the Sightmarks except from people who seem like they’d get stumped by a calculator. If they’d get an app developed so that guests could watch the action on a phone or ipad they would have a runaway winner. Least way that’s what I can tell so far.

Latest posts

Top Bottom