Nighttime military drone flyover?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Around 0330 one of my dogs woke me up to be let out. I stumbled out and while standing underneath the porch light I began to hear a whirring. To the south, coming over my property low was what I could only assume to be a drone. It had no lights other than the flashing red FAA light and solid green light. I couldn’t tell if it had stopped momentarily or it was just smooth enough I couldn’t gauge the movement. I immediately ushered my dogs inside, killed the porch light, and as it passed over I attempted to hit it with a spotlight. I guess it was a little higher than I thought, because this light (Milwaukee 12v) has great throw but couldn’t light it up. As it went over the whirring became very loud, and the size seemed much larger than a hobbyist’s drone (but too small to carry a person... I think) though I couldn’t see anything other than the flashing light and hear the whirring of the blades. We have fairly frequent military flyovers by helicopter as well. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Around 0330 one of my dogs woke me up to be let out. I stumbled out and while standing underneath the porch light I began to hear a whirring. To the south, coming over my property low was what I could only assume to be a drone. It had no lights other than the flashing red FAA light and solid green light. I couldn’t tell if it had stopped momentarily or it was just smooth enough I couldn’t gauge the movement. I immediately ushered my dogs inside, killed the porch light, and as it passed over I attempted to hit it with a spotlight. I guess it was a little higher than I thought, because this light (Milwaukee 12v) has great throw but couldn’t light it up. As it went over the whirring became very loud, and the size seemed much larger than a hobbyist’s drone (but too small to carry a person... I think) though I couldn’t see anything other than the flashing light and hear the whirring of the blades. We have fairly frequent military flyovers by helicopter as well. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
If military flyovers are a frequent for you then I would venture to say that it was probably a night fly training op for some new pilots...Or it could be the ATF scoping out your property :anyone:

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have no idea how close I was to attempting to do that with the 43 in my shorts pocket. It was moving slow, and low, so either training or taking photographs. It’s not hard to believe the DEA is looking for unregistered pot farms, or the ATF is seeing how many dogs I have. But if it isn’t training they’re obviously wanting to be very covert about it.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also can’t figure out why my spotlight didn’t light it up. I only did so for a second because I genuinely thought I might draw attention from it, but it showed no outline at all, and this light will touch my tree line a good 400 yards across the pasture.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also can’t figure out why my spotlight didn’t light it up. I only did so for a second because I genuinely thought I might draw attention from it, but it showed no outline at all, and this light will touch my tree line a good 400 yards across the pasture.
Testing out the new light absorbing stealth paint they have from area 51:greetings

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have no idea how close I was to attempting to do that with the 43 in my shorts pocket. It was moving slow, and low, so either training or taking photographs. It’s not hard to believe the DEA is looking for unregistered pot farms, or the ATF is seeing how many dogs I have. But if it isn’t training they’re obviously wanting to be very covert about it.
DEA would also be likely after the last round of Chinese owned illegal grow ops that they just rounded up in Lincoln and Murray counties, could be looking for more....but the low night flying wouldn't be needed for that, hell you can spot the buildings from a normal Cessna during the day time with no trouble and from a good way up. We had a couple biologists out doing raptor surveys from a modified little bird down in southern OK awhile back and they said it was wild how many grow ops they could see from an aerial view

Latest posts

Top Bottom