No Catholics In Public Office

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From a "political only" standpoint, the Catholic Church is a large voting bloc, much like NRA, Planned Parenthood, Baptist General Convention of Okla, OSA, Republican, or Democrat. They have as much right to express their opinions as any other group of citizens.

Half of my extended family is Catholic, and the other half is Southern Baptist. I love and respect all of them and for the sake of this discussion it isn't important which half of my family I identify with.

The specific discussions that generated this thread are very offensive to me. The thought of a politician stating in an official setting that a person should not be qualified to hold an office because of their individual principles is just not right.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thought of a politician stating in an official setting that a person should not be qualified to hold an office because of their individual principles is just not right.

I agree, but would continue it beyond religion or event public office.

The '[insert group] shouldn't be allowed' to stuff is crap and i wish more people would work to defend freedom of others instead of limiting it because they personally disagree with the [insert objection here] of the other group.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting perspective - the Catholic Church is the original Christian Church.

“What makes this fraud holy” - God

“It’s so far from biblical it ain’t even funny” - the entire New Testament is a recounting if the works of the original Christian Church members - the Catholic Church.

You guessed it, I’m Catholic and proud of it.
I know it don’t matter what I say You won’t be open to discussion. You and your church are right and everyone else are wrong. The Catholics were NOT the original church. The Catholics were not the ones to write the original text either. The apostles were. And they were Jews. Then the Greeks interpreted it and wrote it in their language. There is a reason preachers still refer back to the Greek Text. Did the Catholics write their own version based upon their own interpretation of the original text? Yes. So they could interpret it any way they wanted to. Which they did. Even regarding baptism the Catholic Church has changed its stance over the years. Apparently the inspired word of God changes over time. The original Church was founded by Jesus Christ and he was the head of it and still is. Even back then divisions in the church came up to which Paul had to strongly rebuke the people. They chose to follow men rather than Christ. This is what happened with the formation of the Catholic Church. Men weren’t happy following Christ’s teachings so they came up with their own and people followed them. This is still going on today with many congregations. As for God making the pope holy. That is both sad and laughable. So a man chosen by God to head his church not only knows about rapes and molestations but barely does anything about it and even covered it up for a while. Many popes in the past were the most corrupt and evil men on earth. Don’t sit there and tell me God had anything to do with these men. They are just regular men that you Catholics worship. Since you claim y’all write the Bible why doesn’t it mention the word pope in it? Why doesn’t it mention cardinals and bishops? The only thing mentioned is that Jesus, not the pope is the head of the Church and that elders are to lead the flock. It also says that we aren’t to call anyone father except for God. ( Excluding ours of course). But yet again y’all make up your own stuff and call people father and all kinds of other names. I am real sure Jesus created the Catholic Church. Everything about it is in direct conflict with what Jesus taught. Apparently you don’t know history very well. Or you just don’t care. You have too much pride to think that maybe you are wrong and that the Catholics are wrong. You even said you are a “proud Catholic “. That statement alone shows how ridiculous your belief is. Why aren’t you a proud Christian? Why is that not good enough. The Catholic Church is more important to y’all than Jesus Christ is. If Christ was the most important you wouldn’t be a Catholic. This is not about me being right either. This is about the truth. Martin Luther left the Catholic Church because he saw how corrupt it was and how it wasn’t doing what the Bible said. It got so far away from scripture he couldn’t take it anymore and so he left. I feel sorry for you if you really believe in all the things you said. There is absolutely no proof to back up Catholics being the one true church. And it isn’t. Even the name Catholic should tell you something. Why would Jesus establish HIS church yet call it a Catholic Church? That makes no sense.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it's been a long while since i was in my religious studies classes, so forgive the question. I know Moses is supposed to have written the first sections of the old testament and the Torah, but it can't really be disputed that the Catholic Church created the Bible as we know it, right?

Or are you saying that only the old testament should be viewed as true?
The Old Testament is irrelevant today. We go by the New Testament. And no, the Catholics DID NOT write the New Testament. There is nothing whatsoever to back up your claim. It can easily be disputed they didn’t write it. But of course if your a Catholic your gonna believe they did. Just like you will believe a common man is somehow given powers by God ( the pope).

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Old Testament is irrelevant today. We go by the New Testament. And no, the Catholics DID NOT write the New Testament. There is nothing whatsoever to back up your claim. It can easily be disputed they didn’t write it. But of course if your a Catholic your gonna believe they did. Just like you will believe a common man is somehow given powers by God ( the pope).

i didn't say the wrote it, i said created the Bible as we know it. There is a difference.

Is there another version of the Bible, one that wasn't compiled by the early catholic church, that you believe and follow? I'm genuinely curious to know if one is out there.

There have been many offshoots of the church, but have there been attempts to disseminate the unedited stories? Again, looking for information, not argument.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know it don’t matter what I say You won’t be open to discussion. You and your church are right and everyone else are wrong. The Catholics were NOT the original church. The Catholics were not the ones to write the original text either. The apostles were. And they were Jews. Then the Greeks interpreted it and wrote it in their language. There is a reason preachers still refer back to the Greek Text. Did the Catholics write their own version based upon their own interpretation of the original text? Yes. So they could interpret it any way they wanted to. Which they did. Even regarding baptism the Catholic Church has changed its stance over the years. Apparently the inspired word of God changes over time. The original Church was founded by Jesus Christ and he was the head of it and still is. Even back then divisions in the church came up to which Paul had to strongly rebuke the people. They chose to follow men rather than Christ. This is what happened with the formation of the Catholic Church. Men weren’t happy following Christ’s teachings so they came up with their own and people followed them. This is still going on today with many congregations. As for God making the pope holy. That is both sad and laughable. So a man chosen by God to head his church not only knows about rapes and molestations but barely does anything about it and even covered it up for a while. Many popes in the past were the most corrupt and evil men on earth. Don’t sit there and tell me God had anything to do with these men. They are just regular men that you Catholics worship. Since you claim y’all write the Bible why doesn’t it mention the word pope in it? Why doesn’t it mention cardinals and bishops? The only thing mentioned is that Jesus, not the pope is the head of the Church and that elders are to lead the flock. It also says that we aren’t to call anyone father except for God. ( Excluding ours of course). But yet again y’all make up your own stuff and call people father and all kinds of other names. I am real sure Jesus created the Catholic Church. Everything about it is in direct conflict with what Jesus taught. Apparently you don’t know history very well. Or you just don’t care. You have too much pride to think that maybe you are wrong and that the Catholics are wrong. You even said you are a “proud Catholic “. That statement alone shows how ridiculous your belief is. Why aren’t you a proud Christian? Why is that not good enough. The Catholic Church is more important to y’all than Jesus Christ is. If Christ was the most important you wouldn’t be a Catholic. This is not about me being right either. This is about the truth. Martin Luther left the Catholic Church because he saw how corrupt it was and how it wasn’t doing what the Bible said. It got so far away from scripture he couldn’t take it anymore and so he left. I feel sorry for you if you really believe in all the things you said. There is absolutely no proof to back up Catholics being the one true church. And it isn’t. Even the name Catholic should tell you something. Why would Jesus establish HIS church yet call it a Catholic Church? That makes no sense.

You got it wrong on many fronts.

Jesus is the head of the Catholic Church and Peter was the rock on which he would build his church. Peter was the first Pope. All Popes and Priest can trace their ordination back to Peter.

Catholic means undivided Christian Church or universal. Instead of using “Catholic”, use “Universal”. It means the same thing.

And yes, the Catholic Church has had sinful members and dark times. What religious institution has not? I bet your Preacher is a sinful man / woman. Humans are sinful. That doesn’t mean the teachings of an institution when guided Papal Infallibility is sinful.

Take a deep dive and learn the teachings and beliefs of the Catholic Church before you judge. Be careful though, I’ve seen several people do this and later covert to Catholic. Remember, the Apostle Paul was murdering Christians in the ancient, undivided Church, the Universal / Catholic Church. He later became a zealous member and teacher of the Christian faith.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, Peter is not the basis of the "church." His confession is the "rock" upon which Jesus would build His church.

The relevant text from the Bible: Matthew 16: 13-20

"13 Now when Jesus came into the parts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Who do men say that the Son of man is? 14 And they said, Some say John the Baptist; some, Elijah; and others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets. 15 He saith unto them, But who say ye that I am? 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jonah: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father who is in heaven. 18 And I also say unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 20 Then charged he the disciples that they should tell no man that he was the Christ."

Jesus commended Peter for the true confession. Nowhere in the rest of the New Testament is there a reference that Peter is head over all the rest.

As a side thought, when Jesus was resurrected, why didn't he then appear to Peter first, if Peter was to be the "rock?" Instead, he appeared to the women who went to the tomb.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, Peter is not the basis of the "church." His confession is the "rock" upon which Jesus would build His church.

The relevant text from the Bible: Matthew 16: 13-20

"13 Now when Jesus came into the parts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Who do men say that the Son of man is? 14 And they said, Some say John the Baptist; some, Elijah; and others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets. 15 He saith unto them, But who say ye that I am? 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jonah: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father who is in heaven. 18 And I also say unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 20 Then charged he the disciples that they should tell no man that he was the Christ."

Jesus commended Peter for the true confession. Nowhere in the rest of the New Testament is there a reference that Peter is head over all the rest.

As a side thought, when Jesus was resurrected, why didn't he then appear to Peter first, if Peter was to be the "rock?" Instead, he appeared to the women who went to the tomb.

I stand corrected. But, was Peter not the recognized head administrator of the church?

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
May I interject and say this-Any person that says they have accepted Christ as their Savior is my brother or sister regardless of denomination. Their salvation is between them and God-not me until they prove otherwise. Denominations have done more to create friction and division in the chrch than anything i can think of-and isn't that what the old Serpant wants?

Latest posts

Top Bottom