'No longer be soft targets': Ohio school allowing teachers to carry guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of parent's concerns in the article is the mental aspects for a teacher. First, whether they could pull the trigger, legitimate question prolly. But the main concern would be the potential for post traumatic stress for the teacher after shooting a perp.

That seems like a pretty stuipid argument to me. Is the goal here to save kids?

I'd think it would be safe to say that everyone involved, armed or not, is going to have ptsd afterword.
The goal
For teachers is to teach; not save or protect kids from a violent encounter

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s hard to believe some of the comments. We say here every day that a good person with a gun is a great defense. Not every teacher will want that responsibility, but many will. And when an emergency arises, it is no longer a student, but an attacker that must be engaged.
Not that many, David. Teachers aren’t firearm enthusiasts like us. They’re mostly Democrats.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wrong………don’t let the nonsense coming from NEA, for example. Get to know a few of your local teachers. You may be surprised, I sure was.

The majority will likely not participate, but that doesn’t mean they don’t support having the support of those that do. It’s not necessary to have everyone of them carrying.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do those who shoot down every possible solution but provide no suggestions themselves ever take a step back and wonder if they are contributing to the problem with their knee jerk nothing will work reactions? "No guns in schools, not the job of the teacher, they probably won't carry, etc." We let pilots carry on airplanes, almost every state lets their citizens carry but for some reason THE MOST OBVIOUS SOLUTION just won't work in a school. I swear I think some people must like it when school shootings occur.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
some pretty broad strokes of opinion here. I appreciate everyone's right to it too. But we are part of the problem when We say this group or that isn't going to do it. if offered proper training and equipment and experiance from others just like them, perhaps they would carry. People like the Israeli defense force make it common practice to carry in the open. Make it normal and the threat decreases. I believe anyone that takes a life changes a bit, but that happens afterwards and not something imho that should be factored in up front. what if it does, what if it doesn't. The aggressors aren't people, citizens, students, or whatever, they like our military face, are the enemy and they are there to harm you and yours, that is a different mind set. Little Polly who was a student in 6th grade there is now a killer with an ak that she has been using for the past few minutes, whole different deal. Aggressor, not a little girl. the police officers who dropped the last shooter did it mechanically and without thought. Stop the threat.

Reaction score
CALEDONIA, Ohio (WSYX) - As school districts struggle with the increase in school shootings, there's a divide on how to keep schools safer. Under a new law passed last year, Ohio teachers can now carry guns in school under certain restrictions. And now a central Ohio school is arming its teachers.

River Valley Local School District believes with training allowing their teachers to carry guns will make their buildings safer.

It boils down to response time. The schools sit in a countryside community, and it's that ruralness causing concern for Superintendent Adam Wickham.

Last January, the district sent a letter to parents and staff, a resolution allowing teachers to carry guns. According to the letter, the superintendent says the schools will "no longer be soft targets," and "response times can often be minutes away."

There are deputies that cruise the school area, but the sheriff's office sits some 10 minutes away from the high school.

Grandparent Krista Schweinfurth says that is too far away when every second counts.

She worries whether a teacher would be able to pull the trigger. And worries about the post-traumatic stress involved.

And while the debate on teachers carrying guns divides communities, no one wants to see another school shooting.

"It scares me all of the time when you hear there's been a shooting, you pray it's not in a school," Schweinfurth said.

https://ktul.com/news/nation-world/...-ohio-school-allowing-teachers-to-carry-guns#
CALEDONIA, Ohio (WSYX) - As school districts struggle with the increase in school shootings, there's a divide on how to keep schools safer. Under a new law passed last year, Ohio teachers can now carry guns in school under certain restrictions. And now a central Ohio school is arming its teachers.

River Valley Local School District believes with training allowing their teachers to carry guns will make their buildings safer.

It boils down to response time. The schools sit in a countryside community, and it's that ruralness causing concern for Superintendent Adam Wickham.

Last January, the district sent a letter to parents and staff, a resolution allowing teachers to carry guns. According to the letter, the superintendent says the schools will "no longer be soft targets," and "response times can often be minutes away."

There are deputies that cruise the school area, but the sheriff's office sits some 10 minutes away from the high school.

Grandparent Krista Schweinfurth says that is too far away when every second counts.

She worries whether a teacher would be able to pull the trigger. And worries about the post-traumatic stress involved.

And while the debate on teachers carrying guns divides communities, no one wants to see another school shooting.

"It scares me all of the time when you hear there's been a shooting, you pray it's not in a school," Schweinfurth said.

https://ktul.com/news/nation-world/...-ohio-school-allowing-teachers-to-carry-guns#

Reaction score
I think arming teachers is the best way to stop school shootings, especially if no one knows how many are armed and who they are. People vehemently opposed to this because of "feelings" are certainly entitled to their opinions but, in my opinion, bear some responsibility for preventing any meaningful solution. Wringing your hands and confronting a shooter while unarmed doesn't do any good. Teachers are already the last line of defense for students - why wouldn't they be provided with the tool to make them effective? I get sick of hearing "we don't want guns in our schools". I don't know how they can be any more stupid.
Unfortunately there are plenty of people waiting to shoot down any and every solution, no matter how obvious. Loudmouth blowhards that support gun free zones get other people killed.
What about putting returning Vets in schools?

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why? Returning vets have every opportunity to join law enforcement or school systems. What part of these two groups would be best for them to join? Most of them likely already have a career path. Most law enforcement agencies are already dealing with budget issues, as are most school systems.

Let’s spend the new money on solving the mental health issues that cause problems such as school, mall, bank, etc. shooting events.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wrong………don’t let the nonsense coming from NEA, for example. Get to know a few of your local teachers. You may be surprised, I sure was.

The majority will likely not participate, but that doesn’t mean they don’t support having the support of those that do. It’s not necessary to have everyone of them carrying.
I am a teacher.

Latest posts

Top Bottom