'No longer be soft targets': Ohio school allowing teachers to carry guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s a comparison. Every “fight” or disturbance that I need to break up becomes a gunfight.
Because I brought one. Granted this is public high school but that’s my experience

If you don’t know how to fight and how to securely carry a concealed weapon then you aren’t a candidate for doing so. Nothing wrong with admitting your shortcomings. However there may be other teachers who are able to do so because of their mindset, previous training and experience.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The goal
For teachers is to teach; not save or protect kids from a violent encounter
Agree and disagree . . . my wife often becomes a second mom to several of her students. She shows them kindness and attention they might not be getting at home. While she's there to teach, she also knows that various things she does in the classroom will often have a broader impact on them.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to read the actual law that was passed, and I hope it goes further than just allowing teachers to carry. Any law allowing teachers to carry, IMO, has to be tethered to a law restricting the discretion of the District Attorney and Judges. For teachers to carry there needs to be absolute immunity from prosecution, and any prosecutor that tries to files charges is immediately fired, and disbarred from ever practicing again. Any judge that doesn't immediately dismiss charges that are filed, should be removed from office, and then disbarred.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree and disagree . . . my wife often becomes a second mom to several of her students. She shows them kindness and attention they might not be getting at home. While she's there to teach, she also knows that various things she does in the classroom will often have a broader impact on them.

I taught for 2 years. You nailed it on a Teacher is wayyyyyyyyyy more than just a Teacher

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fire is a risk at schools, but we don't ask every teacher to carry an extinguisher. They are just positioned strategically throughout the building and all are trained to use them. I support arming teachers or in some way having a deterrent. Maybe some middle ground would be biometric wall safes/ lock boxes in classrooms around the school where during an attack teachers can access them. This would remove the firearm present during a fight/ altercation. I agree full training is still needed and an understanding of what follows for the teachers with full support/ therapy following if they have to use them. Just a thought.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of parent's concerns in the article is the mental aspects for a teacher. First, whether they could pull the trigger, legitimate question prolly. But the main concern would be the potential for post traumatic stress for the teacher after shooting a perp.

That seems like a pretty stuipid argument to me. Is the goal here to save kids?

I'd think it would be safe to say that everyone involved, armed or not, is going to have ptsd afterword.
I would think the PTSD from being there unarmed watching your students getting killed, and the survivors guilt combined with the guilt of knowing you could have done something, but chose not to, would be just as bad as the PTSD of taking out a bad guy intent on murdering unarmed children.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of times the school shooters are students of the school… they really think a teacher is gonna shoot one of their students?
If the student is going to shoot them, YES!! If these misguided SPOILED BRATS, KNOW that school personal can, and will fight back, THIS WILL STOP!!! Why do you think there hasn't been even ONE attempted take over type air liner hijacking since 9/11/01? Because would be hjackers KNOW passenegers will ever again sit by and be flown into as building, RIGHT?

Latest posts

Top Bottom