No More Private Farms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the best financial move a farm kid can make though. Continuing on the family farm is risky, hard work, long days, risky, and did I mention risky for modest to low pay.
Not to mention decades of propaganda from the Boomers and Gen-Xers, saying that college is the only way to go, and you just HAVE to have a college degree. How many of those farmers sent their kids off to college, to "get them a better life" as "professionals"? Don't blame the kids for being lazy. Too many people were sold a bill of goods, and WHOLE lot of them are paying for it.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sad thing about losing farmland is the children of farmers don't want to put in the effort it takes to work hard and keep the land in the family so the farmer sells the land to developers in most cases for millions of dollars. Where we live used to be farm land with the main crops being sugar beets, corn and wheat. Now today that land is all sub divisions. One can't really blame the farmers who worked all their lives to help feed this Nation to take their money from the sale of their land and enjoy the rest of their lives on easy street as their kids turn into woke zombies.
Correct and I can go back 20-25 years and that was the case. That was before the word woke came about as you and I know it today. I posted here a year or 2 ago about aging farmers and what was occurring. Apparently the majority of young beings today are either afraid of dirt or don't have the fortitude for manual labor. Imo.
Nowadays there's been an explosion of homesteaders trying they're hand at being self sufficient. But it itself is not an easy task , everything takes time and money. Not to mention there's always mistakes made before success is achieved. If we give it thought, the things said in music and seen in tv which were far fetched at the time are all playing out today. Start eating bugs so you acquire the taste, lol. Or start breeding bugs to get in on the ground floor of the new protein source.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the best financial move a farm kid can make though. Continuing on the family farm is risky, hard work, long days, risky, and did I mention risky for modest to low pay.
🤣, quality of life is the farm life. Iirc your aware of that. Blood, sweat and tears but it's meaningful to our soul. It makes men and women of real character.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to mention decades of propaganda from the Boomers and Gen-Xers, saying that college is the only way to go, and you just HAVE to have a college degree. How many of those farmers sent their kids off to college, to "get them a better life" as "professionals"? Don't blame the kids for being lazy. Too many people were sold a bill of goods, and WHOLE lot of them are paying for it.
A view I never considered and true at that. But then I find you always speak the whole truth. 👍

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
🤣, quality of life is the farm life. Iirc your aware of that. Blood, sweat and tears but it's meaningful to our soul. It makes men and women of real character.
The best way to make money farming is to work for a farmer......or if you're a farmer, cash rent all your land and let someone else farm it lol.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I suppose that is why all these wheat farmers are driving new $100k pick ups and $400k tractors. Sitting in the coffee shop half the day, complaining about everything.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I suppose that is why all these wheat farmers are driving new $100k pick ups and $400k tractors. Sitting in the coffee shop half the day, complaining about everything.
Yep, and still in debt like folks who don't farm, and hope the next crops make so they can pay the bank.....

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While on the farm back in the '70's and '80's, wife and I really liked the farm/ranch life, but we just couldn't see how it was going to work for us. Many farmers today may very well have been "gifted" some of their original equipment.

Wife's father wanted us to take over the farming part of the operation, but there was no way I could see us succeeding. I guess God was looking out for us as we are in a much better situation than farming would have ever left us.

Latest posts

Top Bottom