Noise Canceling Electronic Ear Muffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever tried these from Harbor Freight? I know, I know, they're not the $300 super duper ear muffs that most people use but I'm very tempted to give them a try.

https://m.harborfreight.com/noise-canceling-electronic-ear-muffs-92851.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

Your link has good reviews
I use these Howard Leights. $40 on Amazon, and I've seen them on sale cheaper. They are low profile, have a cord you can attach to your cell phone and listen to music while the noise dampening feature still works. Very comfortable. Lots of shooters use these.
https://www.amazon.com/Impact-sport...ocphy=1024306&hvtargid=pla-571840838635&psc=1

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never tried active noise cancelling muffs for shooting, but my aviation headset is a David Clark ANC. It definitely makes a difference as far as ease of hearing and fatigue, but I'm told it doesn't actually prevent hearing damage any more than the passive rating of the muffs (well, maybe a little because the ease-of-hearing means I don't have to turn the radio up quite so loud, but not much).

I can't see the ANC providing much benefit in a range situation just because of the brief and transient nature of the noise rather than the constant drone of engine(s) and wind. I'll certainly defer to the experience of those who have actually tried them, though.

I do like my amplifying Peltor earmuffs for the range, and even more for hunting. They definitely make it easier to hear and understand what's going on around me, but automatically cut out when the ambient noise gets loud (like a gunshot). When hunting, I can hear better with them on than with my ears alone, and still get the benefit of earpro when it comes time to shoot.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading about the kind that bluetooth no cord required. Since I've never used anything except plain old earplugs I was thinking about that kind to receive phone calls and such.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3rd. I can still hear convos etc ok, but provide much more hearing protection. Using one or the other its still uncomfortably loud for me, but I have sensitive hearing.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of IIRC Remingtons for 9.99 from atwoods on sale and like them as much as I can like a muff of this type, I like my plugs.. Bought a 2nd pair for the wife, they are cool as you hear the shot and it sounds very cool, ya hear the steel ring too.. They also double as a dorky hearing aid..

Latest posts

Top Bottom