Non-resident conceal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I generally try to stay out of these type of discussions, but I think you may want to check a little closer. As a CCW Instructor and a police officer I have some concerns with the non-residentt licenses. There is more to conceal carry than just getting a license. I'm concerned that these non-resident licenses are not teaching OKlahoma law. The oklahoma concealed carry course is packed with OKla. specific laws that all CCW holders need to know and NO not all laws are the same for CCW from one state to another. Not sure what a non-resident license cost but you usually can get an OKla. class and license for just under $200 thats good for 5 years. Sometimes money is not everything, just my two cents worth!

I think Okla. has a good class and I believe those teaching it across the state add their own experiences that make the class worth taking. Some even use attorneys to teach their legal part. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I can not speak for other class But I include OK law from the OK book as I do teach both. When I teach the class I cover OK law as part of the class

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and son took the class from repete34 and obtained their Utah permit prior to obtaining the OK CCL. I sat in on the class (already had OK CCL) and found the instruction very thorough and informative.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the guys above, my wife is getting a non-res permit, She can't get off work to make it to CCSO on the one day a week they'll print....and we live at the edge of the county, so it's not like its around the corner for us. I will say there is an instructor out there who I've gone round and round with on FB, who insists its illegal to carry on a non-resident permit because you aren't a resident of the issuing state....

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the Utah non resident permit up until it expired last july. The thing I didnt like about it is being stopped by the police and being treated with suspicion because i had a permit from another state. I mean that didnt always happen, but sometimes it did.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I generally try to stay out of these type of discussions, but I think you may want to check a little closer. As a CCW Instructor and a police officer I have some concerns with the non-residentt licenses. There is more to conceal carry than just getting a license. I'm concerned that these non-resident licenses are not teaching OKlahoma law. The oklahoma concealed carry course is packed with OKla. specific laws that all CCW holders need to know and NO not all laws are the same for CCW from one state to another. Not sure what a non-resident license cost but you usually can get an OKla. class and license for just under $200 thats good for 5 years. Sometimes money is not everything, just my two cents worth!

I think Okla. has a good class and I believe those teaching it across the state add their own experiences that make the class worth taking. Some even use attorneys to teach their legal part. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Regardless of permit or no permit (constitutional carry) one that carries has a responsibility to know the law. $200 is a lot for many people to spend and the SDA book is free. You can also take an SDA class for as little as $30 but get the non-resident license to save money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom