Norinco 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My apologies. I got to looking and it seems a lot of gun forums, and a lot of places on the internet describe the Llama 1911 as a clone when it is not technically a clone by definition.

That’s where my confusion came from.
It is so far from being a clone it is pitiful! Bought one back in the '70-80's and it was very unreliable. Did not fere anything it was fed, jammed with FTF, FTE you name it it .POS!

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
It is so far from being a clone it is pitiful! Bought one back in the '70-80's and it was very unreliable. Did not fere anything it was fed, jammed with FTF, FTE you name it it .POS!

The one I have has had several thousand rounds of .45acp through it. I guess some were junk and some were good to go.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then what’s the non clone original?
A norinco is based off 1911 specifications which is ultimately what JM Browning laid out when he designed it originally. Things like frame hole placement, pin diameters, and geometry. Guns that follow this are simply 1911s. Call them clones, but what are they clones of? Are colt 1911a1’s the only non clone 1911?
I think it might just be a semantic thing we have gotten into.
I think this way from a fixing and and building viewpoint. If something doesn’t work on a 1911 it’s because some aspect of their standard specification is not correct, and so I can measure things, and diagnose and fix, because it’s a 1911, and build like one.
Llamas do some weird stuff with their frames if I recall.

FWIW this is the guy who built my Norinco.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought clones were off spec. Not mil spec. Clones are like the original.

Like the llama 1911 I have, the frame is slightly bigger. Normal 1911 mags don’t work, but parts will interchange but will all have to be fitted. Lots of filing.

I also may be completely wrong. This is just what little information I remembered from researching Llama 1911’s. I’d have to pull my Llama out and put it side by side to my other 1911’s and actually look close. And before you knock me for having a Llama it’s because it was a gift to me from my father. 🤣
Never knock anyone for anything. Gifts are precious.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m sharing this post from WilsonCobatRep from an old thread on Norinco 1911s.

“There was a time in this country in the mid 1980's where custom pistolsmiths were constantly in search of quality base guns to build custom guns on. Colt had turned to the 80 series design which was less than perfect from a custom gun building perspective and Springfields were in high demand. Norinco came on the market at a very attractive price and had geometrically "sound" slides and frames-basically reverse engineered, fully hardened USGI guns with some metric engineering thrown in for fun. Most of the small parts were worse than petrified dog crap but since we were tossing them it didn't matter. The slides and frames were good enough to build basic guns on. They were cosmetically poor but at a time when base guns were hard to come by we built some decent guns on them and filled the demand at the time for a reasonably priced base.

They are not magic guns of magic metal tempered in Unicorn blood. They are fully hardened to high rockwell hardness so once tightened up they stay good and tight for a long time.

Most of the barrels need to be replaced. The lugs easily flange/deform.”

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/wilson-norinco.436655/

Latest posts

Top Bottom