Norinco 1911's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1090.JPG
I had one of these in the early 90's that was purchased new. Got rid of it a long time ago but always wanted another one. Found one that has been smoothed up with what I believe to be mostly Wilson components including a stainless barrel. It's smooooth, makes my stock Colt feel like it's full of sand.

Last edited:

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 110943 I had one of these in the early 90's that was purchased new. Got rid of it a long time ago but always wanted another one. Found one that has been smoothed up with what I believe to be mostly Wilson components including a stainless barrel. It's smooooth, makes my stock Colt feel like it's full of sand.

Very nice! You probably already know, but Norinco 1911s are highly prized for their hard steel. Supposed to be a great build platform. Sounds like that's pretty much what you got. I'm not just a little bit jealous...

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a 1911 guy. I've had several and let them all go except for my Norinco. There's something about it I like.

Dangerousways

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned a couple. Should have kept them. As legend goes the were made from the rail road steel beams. Very hard steel.great platform for a custom 1911. They been selling for $400-500. If you can find one

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember holding and playing with them at Fred Baker's Firearms. Should have both a couple along with Jefferson Spivey's Saber knife...I think that's what it was called.

Man-oh-man....how time has flown!!! I think that was in the late eighties or early ninties.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day, they were prized by the USMC Armorers at the Precision Weapons Section in Quantico for their incredibly hard steel frames. They would rebuild these guns I don’t know how many times and give them back to us so we could try to wear them out. Very hard steel; and yes, supposedly made from railroad steel. I’d love to have one of those pistols now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 110943 I had one of these in the early 90's that was purchased new. Got rid of it a long time ago but always wanted another one. Found one that has been smoothed up with what I believe to be mostly Wilson components including a stainless barrel. It's smooooth, makes my stock Colt feel like it's full of sand.

Oh, by the way, since you don’t really want or need that ole Norinco, lemme know if you want to get rid of the thing.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one of these I believe from the classified here on OSC about a year ago. I think I paid $400 and got a few hundred rounds of ammo, a holster, pacymer grips, extra magazine's, guide rod, etc., he had his original receipt for the gun. I am not a 1911 fan but I do like to shoot this pistol. A keeper.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I got kicked off 1911forums loooong ago for sticking up for Norincos.... it took a long time before people realized what they were. They were still selling them in Canada in all flavors not too long ago.

I sent mine to Mike Cywrus, glad I did. Had him clean up the gun, almost everything remained stock as the stock parts are quality. Had to have a better grip safety though, front sight, and a 10-8 blade u notch rear and he did a cerakote. Wish he was still doing work, I'd like to do a new ignition kit on this one.
Norinco.jpg

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I got kicked off 1911forums loooong ago for sticking up for Norincos.... it took a long time before people realized what they were. They were still selling them in Canada in all flavors not too long ago.

I sent mine to Mike Cywrus, glad I did. Had him clean up the gun, almost everything remained stock as the stock parts are quality. Had to have a better grip safety though, front sight, and a 10-8 blade u notch rear and he did a cerakote. Wish he was still doing work, I'd like to do a new ignition kit on this one. View attachment 111003

Man, those guys over there must be losers if they kicked you off for standing up for Norincos. They are obviously misguided. I’d holster a good one anytime and feel confident in its capabilities. They are damn sure hard to wear out.

Now that Accurate Iron has hung up his tools and put away his little files, you might see if Dr Barry is still working. All the old guys who had a clue about these things are retiring!

Latest posts

Top Bottom