Nosler 55gr Varmageddon vs Hornady 55gr V-max

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both of these suspects are Flat base with plastic tips. No cannelure.
the V-Max has a slight bevel at the base very slight but you can see it and the Nosler has just about NO bevel.
When i place these into a case we will see how they load in ..I use VLD chamfer so it may prove a benefit and not peel material off the bullets.

My goal in this test is to see if one groups tighter than the other with same load.
I will shoot them in my bolt and my AR and check velocities.
I will also check seating depth to the lands in my bolt gun.
When I placed the bullets upside down into a resized case and measured the length of the case to base of the bullet there was .025" difference. So the Ogive is slightly different.
OAL of the bullets are withing .002" of each other Diameter is .224" as measured on both of them.
So when measuring and looking at them there is a slight difference between the 2.

My local supplier never seems to have the V-Max in stock but had these Nosler Varmageddon bullets so might as well try them.

55vs55 004.JPG
55vs55 005.JPG

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The load will be H4895 at 25.0, 25.5 and 26.0 gr .
Federal cases Pin tumbled, brushed, annealed, Full length sized. Sorted for base to Ogive and sorted for neck ID and neck OD.

Primers will be CCI 450.
That has been my accuracy load and I tried different primers powder and cases and this just works.
I will clean my guns before I start this.
The 26.0 gr load results in 3198 fps from my 22" barrel savage axis measured with F1 at 15 feet from the muzzle a couple years ago. It just seems 25.0-26.0 is a good node to be in with that 55gr combo.
If I load 26.0 into the AR loads it compresses the powder too much so none of those in that . I will stop that at 25.5.
Unless I single load them and leave them long like the bolt gun likes which is almost 2.3"

If there is another powder you would like me to test for velocity i probably can.
Besides H4895 I have Accurate 2495, IMR4064, 8208 XBR, IMR 3031, Varget for the ones that work in .223

Latest posts

Top Bottom