Nosler Brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues with Nosler Brass or had problems in the past? I've got some for my 300WSM that's giving me a headache. First problem was with the primer pockets, they seem to be too small because, at least on some, it's a real struggle to get them seated and when I say struggle I mean it's almost like forcing them into the pocket. The other primers, the ones I didn't have to force in, went in but they were nowhere near as easy as it is on any other brass I have.

Secondly, I can't get the finished cartridge to fit in my rifle. By that I mean, with the exception of one, it won't allow the bolt to close once it's in the chamber and the one that finally did didn't want to come back out when I tried to pull the bolt back. This is new brass that I ran through my Redding resizing die, the same as I did with my Hornady brass that I have not had one problem with. For what it's worth and if it helps, I have some Nosler brass for my 223 that has not given me any headaches it's just with the 300WSM. I can see the Nosler brass is thicker than Hornady's but the measurements I've taken on both cartridges are nearly identical. I figure I'm missing something somewhere, but I've got no idea what it is so I'm hoping someone of you can point me in the right direction.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always run new brass through my dies set up for my chambers and then across the little Lyman 5 station power tool where the primer pockets are uniformed, debur and chamfer the mouth as well as run a drill bit through the flash hole and debur both sides lightly.
Please consider doing the same.
It will help tremendously.
Shippers beat the crap outa those cases in the mail.
Edit to add;
I look at the overall length as well, if that gets too far out the trimmer is always on the bench.
As much as we pay for this stuff it should be ready to load I will agree completely.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always run new brass through my dies set up for my chambers and then across the little Lyman 5 station power tool where the primer pockets are uniformed, debur and chamfer the mouth as well as run a drill bit through the flash hole and debur both sides lightly.
Please consider doing the same.
It will help tremendously.
Shippers beat the crap outa those cases in the mail.
Edit to add;
I look at the overall length as well, if that gets too far out the trimmer is always on the bench.
As much as we pay for this stuff it should be ready to load I will agree completely.
I'm running them through my Redding full length resizing die, and I even tried using just the neck resizing die when I still had a problem. Is there something more specific than that you're talking about when you say "dies set up for my chamber"? I haven't tried deburring and chamfering them yet, but I will now that you mentioned it. I don't have the Lyman device and honestly I don't even know what it is, but I will look for it. Thanks

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run savage actions. I have the headspace set at the absolute minimum (ok Maby just a bit past that, they are tight!) I set my dies up so the sized case comes out just below the minimum ledge on my case gauge.
What are you using to verify the outside measurements of your cases after you pass them through the dies?

As for the Lyman thing see this link.
It’s just the first one after a search I am not endorsing the vendor.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/lyman-...5&cnxclid=16508105940200960938010080301008005

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
72141F07-3F14-4266-AE53-E94BD3DB49DA.jpeg

Here is a brand new 6.5 case.
It is flush with the top.
This will not chamber for me out of the bag.
The shoulder has to be bumped down to flush or just hang a fingernail under the lower milled edge for them to work for me.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You didn't mention if a sized case will fit your chamber easily. If you haven't checked, do that next. If that fits and a loaded round still doesn't want to fit, then the neck is thicker on your brass, provided you aren't seated too long.
The brass case, without a bullet seated in it, fits and ejects fine. It's when I seat a bullet, no matter what total length the cartridge is, that I run into problems. There was one exception it worked fairly well when the bullet was seated well below the recommended minimum OAL. That scares me because I'm afraid that, with powder (at this point I'm experimenting with no powder) the pressure would be much too high.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 268141

Here is a brand new 6.5 case.
It is flush with the top.
This will not chamber for me out of the bag.
The shoulder has to be bumped down to flush or just hang a fingernail under the lower milled edge for them to work for me.
I don't have one of these for my 300WSM, but I need to get one.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Measure the diameter of your bullets.
Preferably with a tool similar to this
669DAADE-0F8C-460E-A024-D50D9262FA99.jpeg

Years back I had a box of sierra 308, 220 rn.
They would fall into a case😳
They measured .3065 on that tool.
If the bullet checks out you may need to trim the neck thickness down as PBramble called it earlier.

Edit to add; excellent instincts about setting the bullet back in the case!!!! Very dangerous

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just from eyeballing it, which is the only way I have to judge the thickness right now, I'd say the Nosler brass is definitely 'thicker' than the Hornady brass. I have no idea how you trim that down though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom