Nostalgia - Or, the I'm this old, thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 308218

Ice cold root beer in a frosty (frozen) glass mug on a hot day 🤩
Back in the day, early 70’s starting, I’d drive to and from Greer County OK to “The City” and ALWAYS stop in Weatherford and eat at the Mark Restaurant (pretty fancy for a SW OK kid) or the A&W drive in. Loved loved loved the A&W root beer, they’d keep big glass mugs in the freezer and them add ice and Root Beer on a window tray like that pic. Car had no AC, windows rolled down, 8-track blasting, needed that refreshment. Had an original Fuzz Buster I got in 1975. Sammy Hagar had not written “I Can’t Drive 55” yet. And oh yeah, had to stop and get some paper match books so the 8-track wouldn’t Wow & Flutter.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True story, happened yesterday evening.

My 43 year old friend called me up and asked me if I could drive the care his kid just bought home from the dealership.

It's a beat up but restorable 1969 Camaro,,,
With Four in the Floor.

Apparently I'm the only person he knows who can drive a stick.

Aarond

My son is pushing back a bit on learning to drive a manual, but I think it is mostly his nerves since he just got his permit a couple of months ago. We have let him know we will give him some time to get comfortable driving on the road in an automatic and then it will happen or he won't drive at all. I refuse to raise someone that cant jump on or in nearly any vehicle with wheels and not know enough to figure out how to drive it in short order.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day, early 70’s starting, I’d drive to and from Greer County OK to “The City” and ALWAYS stop in Weatherford and eat at the Mark Restaurant (pretty fancy for a SW OK kid) or the A&W drive in. Loved loved loved the A&W root beer, they’d keep big glass mugs in the freezer and them add ice and Root Beer on a window tray like that pic. Car had no AC, windows rolled down, 8-track blasting, needed that refreshment. Had an original Fuzz Buster I got in 1975. Sammy Hagar had not written “I Can’t Drive 55” yet. And oh yeah, had to stop and get some paper match books so the 8-track wouldn’t Wow & Flutter.
I wish Coit's wouldve stuck around long enough for us to take the kids there at least a few times. That is the place that jumps to my mind when I think about root beer.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While on patrol one night I came across a farm in western Barber County, KS. The farmer showed me his collection of 15 Ford Crown Victorias with the glass roof.

An example, not the cars.

View attachment 309615

View attachment 309614

They were all inside an enclosed milking barn that was not climate controlled but they were taken care of. I never saw the guy again.
When I first left the military I went to work for a Ford dealer In Philadelphia, PA selling new '55 Fords. As I recall Crown Vic's went for around $2800. The '56 Model had a 312 ci with a Paxton supercharger for like $75. more. Ah the good old days!

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
McDonalds usta serve you coffee in a real genuine glass coffee cup, or whatever the material was, some sort of milky white glass-ish material, I still have one of those, they haven't had those since forever.

And, come to think of it, those Apple & Cherry Pies? Hotter than blazes, you'd burn the heck out of your mouth, those things were hot!! And they were made in Tulsa by Bama Pies.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I first left the military I went to work for a Ford dealer In Philadelphia, PA selling new '55 Fords. As I recall Crown Vic's went for around $2800. The '56 Model had a 312 ci with a Paxton supercharger for like $75. more. Ah the good old days!
Thanks for your service! Were you WWII, Korea, or both?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
cap gun.png

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you grow up with a plastic spoon in your mouth, life can only get better. Early 70’s worked for a $1.60 hr and drove a 1962 Mercury Comet station wagon. Was glad to have anything to drive and have some folding money in my pocket.

Life changed Summer of 74 when I enlisted. All my friends gave me a hard time because E-1 pay was $299 a month. Military furnished all my needs and I could stick my whole paycheck in my pocket. Simple times.
I remember those same kind of times only difference was mine was twenty years earlier plus half the money you received. Still "the good old days"!

Latest posts

Top Bottom