Nostalgia - Or, the I'm this old, thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember belt operated systems, but I do remember the air operated ones. What I wouldn't be able to figure out was that if there was more than one cashier's station on the sales floor, how would they know which "transport device" to accept back with the change?
I saw a video a few months back where they went into the terminus room for a pneumatic tube messaging system, and they had rows of tubes, so they apparently had individual tubes running to each station that all ran back to that common room. If I can remember what it was, I'll see if I can dig up a link to it.

The only place I've actually seen those tubes in use (aside from drive-up bank teller windows) was either at Norman Municipal (now Norman Regional) or Children's Hospital, but that would've been over 40 years ago. I didn't even see any remnants of the tube system at Norman Regional the last time I was there, but it has been remodeled and expanded several times since I would've seen the tubes in use.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a video a few months back where they went into the terminus room for a pneumatic tube messaging system, and they had rows of tubes, so they apparently had individual tubes running to each station that all ran back to that common room. If I can remember what it was, I'll see if I can dig up a link to it.

The only place I've actually seen those tubes in use (aside from drive-up bank teller windows) was either at Norman Municipal (now Norman Regional) or Children's Hospital, but that would've been over 40 years ago. I didn't even see any remnants of the tube system at Norman Regional the last time I was there, but it has been remodeled and expanded several times since I would've seen the tubes in use.
You mean something like this?
1674401001429.png

When I worked as a cashier for Home Depot as late as 2003, they were still using pneumatic cash moving systems 😉
1674401182242.png

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You mean something like this?
1674401001429.png
Something like that, yeah. I wish I could remember where I saw it; I remember they were talking about the engineering of it, and how they had to take the size of the capsule and the radius of the curves into consideration.

Now that I think about it, it might’ve been in Destin’s Smarter Every Day video where he was talking to the engineer who worked on the control systems for the Saturn V rocket…

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something like that, yeah. I wish I could remember where I saw it; I remember they were talking about the engineering of it, and how they had to take the size of the capsule and the radius of the curves into consideration.

Now that I think about it, it might’ve been in Destin’s Smarter Every Day video where he was talking to the engineer who worked on the control systems for the Saturn V rocket…
Like I said I worked on those. Not a really hard concept. All timers and blowers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom