Nostalgia - Or, the I'm this old, thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up taking family trips looking out the back window of one of these.......

2nd-Oldsmobile-Custom-Cruiser.jpg

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor had one of these in his driveway.

View attachment 294685
My Dad had one of these, a two door coop
actually it is a Mercury Montery
My Dad had a 1963 Mercury Monterey 2 door with the roll down reverse rear window he had purchased new. It was a 390 2bbl 4 speed car. No air conditioning. Before he passed away he recalled many of the cars he had and talked about this particular car. One story he told was while on the way to work a bird flew in the driver's side window while on the interstate and went out the back window!

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ever think about what year you would go back to if you could? I think things peaked right before smart phones.
Remember back when the phone rang once in a while, and it was usually important! I remember my dad would always call at a certain time in the evening on certain days to visit. I remember not being called and scammed 10 times a day and text and email 100 times a day. The information highway needs to be repaved with a few bumps for scammers and those that give out your phone and email address.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you grow up with a plastic spoon in your mouth, life can only get better. Early 70’s worked for a $1.60 hr and drove a 1962 Mercury Comet station wagon. Was glad to have anything to drive and have some folding money in my pocket.

Life changed Summer of 74 when I enlisted. All my friends gave me a hard time because E-1 pay was $299 a month. Military furnished all my needs and I could stick my whole paycheck in my pocket. Simple times.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Chickens are dinosaurs. Had this white leghorn rooster we called Drumstick. Had to use a 2x4 to be able to collect eggs in his henhouse. Every day. Yes, I knew I needed a bigger club, just didn't have the material to make one. That sucker had spurs as long as my thumb, and nearly as big...

Tasted good stewed, the day I finally won permission to terminate him.
Had one of those growing up, he came after me one day and I popped hit neck for him.... thought I was going to get a beating but my step Mom just laughed and said bout stinking time someone killed that evil @#%$#%#!
That bird would literally look for someone to go after, you could be cutting underbrush or limbing trees and have to keep one eye on the sorry bird! Grab that neck, swing it and pop that arm ..... end of problem LOL.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had one of those growing up, he came after me one day and I popped hit neck for him.... thought I was going to get a beating but my step Mom just laughed and said bout stinking time someone killed that evil @#%$#%#!
That bird would literally look for someone to go after, you could be cutting underbrush or limbing trees and have to keep one eye on the sorry bird! Grab that neck, swing it and pop that arm ..... end of problem LOL.

When I was a kid, my folks had chickens and the rooster tended to go after me when I went for eggs. So, one day I go out with my trusty cotton rope (you know the ones - - - the ones that are maybe 3/8 of an inch thick) and roped him.

He choked down and lay totally still, so being scared that I had just killed Mom's rooster, I took the rope off and went about playing in the yard. After a few times of going back by the pen to check on him, I finally noticed him up and walking around.

Ugly sucker never went after me again, though.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid, my folks had chickens and the rooster tended to go after me when I went for eggs. So, one day I go out with my trusty cotton rope (you know the ones - - - the ones that are maybe 3/8 of an inch thick) and roped him.

He choked down and lay totally still, so being scared that I had just killed Mom's rooster, I took the rope off and went about playing in the yard. After a few times of going back by the pen to check on him, I finally noticed him up and walking around.

Ugly sucker never went after me again, though.
You choked the chicken good.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up taking family trips looking out the back window of one of these.......

View attachment 299223
If it had a piece of angle stock across the back of the passenger seat, It may be just like the one my grandfather had before he got the Falcon. I have a scar on my lower lip from shoving my teeth through it when he had to panic stop one day. I think that's why he got the Falcon. No more riding in the back of Grandpa's station wagon! I survived, I'm tough! We didn't need no stinking seatbelts! :)

Bill

Latest posts

Top Bottom