Nostalgia - Or, the I'm this old, thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mercury
Montego
I think. Aunt had one. Cool, luxury, hot rod.

1973/74
Cool cars cheap, but didn't seem so cheap back then. $ for $, about the same price now.
Yep. Drove a 1964 Mercury Montego back in the mid '70's that I was restoring and upgrading with a 429 SCJ ready to drop in when I was rear-ended, pretty much destroying my 'baby' :cry11:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which was your favorite toy gun or set of guns when you were a kid?

Since I had limited funds and didn't purchase the guns I got myself, I had to rely on my parents to follow through with my request or just be happy I got what I got.

My cowboy era consisted of whatever dime store cap gun and cardboard holster was nearest the cash register. I never had any cool sets like Lone Ranger or Roy Rogers or Paladin or Josh Randall's Maresleg.

WWII guns, I had a green plastic helmet that never fit me and a green plastic greasegun with a pull back locking bolt and a red plastic thingie that vibrated in the front. That was my second favorite.
1660668038016.png

One of my friends had a Johnny Seven OMA.

1660667906389.png

Another had a frikkin aircraft carrier that shot planes and missles but he couldn't take it outside.

VTDW1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rather than continue to ruin the funny memes thread with nostalgia, I'll create one here.

I'm this old

I remember Beebee's Service station just north of Kingfisher on 81. The guy that came out to pump your gas, service your tires, check the oil and water had to be in his 80's.

Dad would tip him a quarter if he did not clean the windshield. You couldn't see out of it after he "cleaned" it. I told dad years ago he probably did that on purpose to get the tips for not cleaning the windshield.

His name was Louie and he slept there👍

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember looking at the American Rifleman magazine (NRA's publication) and on the back cover, guns you could buy by check in the mail and the gun would come to your house.

I remember Lawn Darts and playing outside until after dark without anybody calling the cops to report a missing child.

I remember adults talking to me (when I was in grammar school) and not worrying somebody was going to report them for being a pedophile.

I remember prayer and Bible reading in public school.

I got my mouth washed out in 2nd grade cause I said "dagnabbit."

I got my first whipping in 3rd grade. Dunno what I did.

I remember the fire department in competition with the police department to see which could have the prettiest manger scene, on government property, at Christmas.

I remember when our ladies still had the decency to blush, feel embarrassment, be ashamed.

I remember when we were an orderly culture and good manners were expected.

I remember flying on a commercial aircraft and everybody was dressed nicely and behaved in a dignified fashion.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember looking at the American Rifleman magazine (NRA's publication) and on the back cover, guns you could buy by check in the mail and the gun would come to your house.

I remember Lawn Darts and playing outside until after dark without anybody calling the cops to report a missing child.

I remember adults talking to me (when I was in grammar school) and not worrying somebody was going to report them for being a pedophile.

I remember prayer and Bible reading in public school.

I got my mouth washed out in 2nd grade cause I said "dagnabbit."

I got my first whipping in 3rd grade. Dunno what I did.

I remember the fire department in competition with the police department to see which could have the prettiest manger scene, on government property, at Christmas.

I remember when our ladies still had the decency to blush, feel embarrassment, be ashamed.

I remember when we were an orderly culture and good manners were expected.

I remember flying on a commercial aircraft and everybody was dressed nicely and behaved in a dignified fashion.
When you went to church you wore a suit and tie. I still do. Never have worn jeans to church on anything other than a work day. When we went to a fine restaurant, we wore a jacket and tie. When we went on high school field trips we wore ties. When I went to FFA meetings, we wore FFA jackets and ties.
It doesn't take but a little time to look respectable.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a young kid in the 70s, the only time you were inside the house was if you were sick, sleeping, eating supper, or in trouble/grounded. Saturday morning cartoons was the only exception. When they went off around 11am or so, out the door you went.

I remember riding my bicycle literally everywhere. I rode it across town once to TG&Y to buy my very fisrt 8 track tape, KISS: Destroyer.

I remember being introduced to bands like KISS, Boston, STYX, Kansas, Head East and of course, Peter Frampton, by my oldest brother who played it from his bedroom constantly.

I remember dad always had a sharp car. He was partial to big long Cadillacs and Lincolns.

Great times back then.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a young kid in the 70s, the only time you were inside the house was if you were sick, sleeping, eating supper, or in trouble/grounded. Saturday morning cartoons was the only exception. When they went off around 11am or so, out the door you went.

I remember riding my bicycle literally everywhere. I rode it across town once to TG&Y to buy my very fisrt 8 track tape, KISS: Destroyer.

I remember being introduced to bands like KISS, Boston, STYX, Kansas, Head East and of course, Peter Frampton, by my oldest brother who played it from his bedroom constantly.

I remember dad always had a sharp car. He was partial to big long Cadillacs and Lincolns.

Great times back then.
I was either on my Wards Airline bike, building models, doing chores, or on the tractor after harvest. High school I bucked bales, welded shop projects, rebuilt tractors and rode my Yamaha Enduro 175 climbing the hills at Draper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom