Nostalgia - Or, the I'm this old, thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhb33rd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to Stoney Point School up to the 8th grade and then to Elgin for High School. Several of us kids 7th & 8th graders, would take our 22's or 410's to school with us on the bus and leave them in the principals office until school was out. We would walk back to the house, about 5 miles as the crow fly's, hunting rabbits, squirrels, bull frogs or what ever. If we got thirsty we drank water out of a pond. If we got hot we jumped in the pond. Our parents knew what we were doing and as long as I got back in time for chores things were good. Kids now a days will never understand what it was like growing up back then and the simple life we had.
P.S. Nobody got shot and the guns set there all day in the principals office and didn't hurt anyone.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in school, they taught us how to balance a checkbook and how to brush our teeth! And bicycles had a horn that you could "beep" with your knee-but they were heavy pieces of machinery! Mud flaps, luggage rack, New Departure brakes, streamers out the handlebar grips and wide whitewall tires. Cars could be bought as some have said for $50.00 running. I bought a 1948 Mercury convertible for $25.00, a 1939 chevy coupe with twin smittys for $50.00, roll and tuck interior.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son lives on the southwest corner of my 160 acres. The pond is at the northeast corner. Grandkids walk to the pond to shoot turtles or fish, regularly. 99% of the time, no adults.
Granddaughter was 11-12 yo, a cousin (lib side of family) was spending the weekend. Hollered they were going to the pond. About halfway there, her cousin says, "how big is your back yard?"

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IF YOU REMEMBER THIS.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom