Not 100% certain but I believe I saw a Mountain Lion Cub

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I dont see them often lol. Just once and it was black, whatever you wanna call it. I know they are here because one was found in Minco on 81 after being hit by a car.
I didn't single you out bub, you quoted me asking for clarification. Stand tall and be proud and own your stories, don't worry yourself of others opinions of the stories!

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then tell us what in the hell large black cat does carry the gene for melanism? Scientifically speaking. You didnt try to educate ****. Just keep saying youre wrong youre wrong.
People like you piss me off more than anybody else. If I used the wrong term dont just tell me that Im wrong. Tell me the correct answer. Im on here to educate and learn above all else. I can tell you I have, in Garvin Co Oklahoma, seen on many, many instances, seen very large black cats. I do not give a **** if you call them a puma or a mountain lion or a large pussy. I was trying to further my education by learning exactly what it was and what the correct term was or even what kind of cat it was but assholes like you make it hard for me to do anything but get pissed off.

OK...this is what I have to offer for Mt. Lion education; It is well documented that Jaguars and Leopards do commonly exhibit melanism (black color pigment). A melanistic Mt. Lion (Puma concolor), Puma, Panther, whichever name you prefer has never been documented. As for Mt. Lions in Oklahoma, we (ODWC) have confirmed numerous cases in my short tenure of 9+ years and many before my time. I don't recall the exact numbers but in the last 10 years I think the number is in the ballpark of 10 +/- confirmed cases. I believe we've confirmed a few from trail camera photos, the Minco roadkill, the she cat up a tree in T-town, the collared cat hit by a train, and USDA shot one from a helicopter in Osage County. Mt. Lions are fairly common in the Panhandle where the mesa country extends into OK out of CO. Contrary to popular belief ODWC has never released Mt. Lions in the state nor does the agency deny the existence of the cats within the state. To my knowledge there have been no signs of Mt. Lion reproduction documented in the state. What we have documented is young male lions that have come from South Dakota or New Mexico. DNA testing is able to determine which region in the country the cat originated. From what we understand about these cats is that competition within their original home range pushes these young males to seek new territory. As far as I know it is still a mystery on how the female lion ended up in Tulsa.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you. You have restored my faith in humanity.
In your opinion what large cat could be black in the state of Oklahoma?
Driving down a county road one evening with the sun just over the horizon but still back lighting the horizon I saw a coyote cross the road. It appeared to be totally black as it was that time of day. Asked the wife if she saw that, and she commented about it being a black dog of some sort.
It was totally black because of the sun behind it just prior to dusk.
I can see how people think they have seen a black cat. The coyote tail is long, and when seen for just a moment, it could be described as anything.
First person witnesses in criminal investigations are well known to have differing story's even though they were all in the room.
Colleges, have had people rush into the classroom, "kill" the instructor, and leave the room as a training exercise. The story's vary widely about if the perp had on a ball cap, a tshirt or what did they actually wear.
Its no different when looking at animals in the wild when only a split second view is afforded.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as I know it is still a mystery on how the female lion ended up in Tulsa.

I've thought of this as well. We had a person west of Ponca City that had a license to house and sell big cats. He had lions, Tigers and several forms of African cats as well as Mountain lion cubs for sale. I've suspected but cannot prove he sold one, and it was released.
He also had a chicken fighting arena that used the dead chickens to feed the cats. When chicken fighting was outlawed, he got out of the business.

Latest posts

Top Bottom