Not bad...not bad at all.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20181130_143250.jpg
20181130_143856.jpg

After trying to find a CZ 527 in 7.62X39 at the Wannemachers without any luck, I decided to order this Ruger American ranch carbine.

Came in yesterday and I had this Leupold 4X compact scope lying around with this short bipold.

Total price for the carbine (shipped) was $447.53 with one 5 round mag.

It will accept 5,10 or 20 round mags for the mini 30. I fired a few rounds from a 20 rounder for my mini 30. Works fine but takes away from the "carbine" handiness, beside it looks stupid :o

Whole package as shown is well under 8 lbs. Short and light.

Funny as when l your looking towards 70 how lighter guns and smaller ammo are more appealing all the time. I still handle my 308's ok, but my arthritis and my 300 Win mag are not on speaking terms.

This is the 7/8 " group I printed at 100 yds after sighting in with Hornady 123gr flex-tips. Some 123 gr round nose soft tips from PPU did almost as well.

Prone position (my favorite) with bipod.

Frankly, it surprised me. This is quite acceptable for a light carbine and 7.62 X 39 is certainly not a match round.

Read some reports about folks having to rework the stock to free float, but a dollar bill slid all the way to the action, no problem.

Also reporting feeding problems, but nary a hitch there, either.

Pretty nice little lightweight and accurate package, think I'll keep it.

Last edited:

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my favorite rifles. I got a 16 point opening day with it and my youngest son shot a 9 point with it couple days ago. Mine does very good groups with Hornady SST ammo, about 1/2" or 5/8" groups. I've got a few range and hunting videos with it on my YouTube.

Yes, I actually watched the one where you did the 300 yard thing with it not too long ago...didn't realize you were the OSA Hooligan...I just subscribed :burnout:

You make some pretty good videos.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I actually watched the one where you did the 300 yard thing with it not too long ago...didn't realize you were the OSA Hooligan...I just subscribed :burnout:

You make some pretty good videos.

Thanks man, and thanks for the sub, I appreciate it! I just posted the video in the hunting section of my youngest sons hunt using this gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom