Not For Squeamish - Spider got me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most (all?) spiders inject "venom" (it's actually a digestive enzyme) when they bite. This dissolves their normal prey, so they can suck up the dissolved juices. Unfortunately, it also works on human tissue.

My point (if I had one?), is that a Brown Recluse isn't the only spider bite that can make a nasty sore, theirs is just usually much worse.

Luck. :drunk2:

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember recently reading about the large percentage of mis-diagnosed, and especially erroneously self-disgnosed recluse bites. Making it worse was the large number of people who incorrectly identified a recluse during a survey.

I'm not saying that's what happened here.

Of course today while in the pre-school room at church, my daughter points right behind my shoulder as I was sitting in a chair againt a wall and says "daddy a big spider". Thinking it was probably a grass spider I nonchalantly turned over and looked over my shoulder...nope...recluse plain as day and about an inch from my shoulder.

So perhaps I'll soon have a wound like yours and we can compare...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd have that looked at....there's already something going on underneath that wound. Looks like brown recluse all day long.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably not a recluse bite then. Get it checked out.
Agree - not showing an enlarging necrosis with sloughing of the dead cells. It’s been long enough to be at that stage. If it were me, I’d have the wife filling that wound repeatedly with hydrogen peroxide to reduce the local infection. After a few rounds of that, pack it with triple antibiotic ointment (OTC) and cover. The doctor will probably do a shot and some oral antibiotics while continuing wound care.

Latest posts

Top Bottom