Not For Squeamish - Spider got me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree - not showing an enlarging necrosis with sloughing of the dead cells. It’s been long enough to be at that stage. If it were me, I’d have the wife filling that wound repeatedly with hydrogen peroxide to reduce the local infection. After a few rounds of that, pack it with triple antibiotic ointment (OTC) and cover. The doctor will probably do a shot and some oral antibiotics while continuing wound care.
Band Aid on top and Peroxide drip every evening but no packing. I don't have any sterile gauze. Dr. office for sure tomorrow..

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd have that looked at....there's already something going on underneath that wound. Looks like brown recluse all day long.
It might just heal up. Depends on if he got the sack out and if it gets a secondary infection. If it doesn't fill back up and heals over and there's no pain or anything he should be fine. About all the doc would do is give him antibiotics and maybe pack it, both of which could easily do more harm than good. Were it me, I would wait it out for a little while and see if it just heals up, because most often they do.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It might just heal up. Depends on if he got the sack out and if it gets a secondary infection. If it doesn't fill back up and heals over and there's no pain or anything he should be fine. About all the doc would do is give him antibiotics and maybe pack it, both of which could easily do more harm than good. Were it me, I would wait it out for a little while and see if it just heals up, because most often they do.

Or it might not just heal up. Without the doc’s assessment there is no way tell what’s going on from just the 1 pic. There could be tunneling or undermining or a big infection requiring surgery & a wound vac. Or there could be sepsis. Could be a lot of things. It’s prob prudent to have it looked at by the doc just in case.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or it might not just heal up. Without the doc’s assessment there is no way tell what’s going on from just the 1 pic. There could be tunneling or undermining or a big infection requiring surgery & a wound vac. Or there could be sepsis. Could be a lot of things. It’s prob prudent to have it looked at by the doc just in case.
If he's not in a lot of pain and doesn't have a fever I personally wouldn't worry about it too much. I guess there's no harm in getting it checked out, but I certainly wouldn't nuke my immune system with prophylactically prescribed antibiotics, which is what the doctor (or likely a nurse practitioner) is going to do. Not even so much as a prophylactic against infection, but more against liability if it gets reinfected.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he's not in a lot of pain and doesn't have a fever I personally wouldn't worry about it too much. I guess there's no harm in getting it checked out, but I certainly wouldn't nuke my immune system with prophylactically prescribed antibiotics, which is what the doctor (or likely a nurse practitioner) is going to do. Not even so much as a prophylactic against infection, but more against liability if it gets reinfected.
It wouldnt be prophylactic if the doc sends a swab for a c&s and prescribes the correct sensitivity abx for the infection.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Bless your heart, people like you keep my wife busy.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It wouldnt be prophylactic if the doc sends a swab for a c&s and prescribes the correct sensitivity abx for the infection.
It's the rampant abuse of antibiotics that has lead to this epidemic in the first place. And that's not even to mention what antibiotics do to the gut flora, which is a massive part of our immune systems. You do you, but I opt to let my body take care of it whenever possible. It saves my immune system from unnecessary damage, it trains my immune system to be able to handle these antibiotic resistant bacteria, and it prevents further resistance, making the antibiotics more effective for the extreme cases where they're needed most.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's the rampant abuse of antibiotics that has lead to this epidemic in the first place. And that's not even to mention what antibiotics do to the gut flora, which is a massive part of our immune systems. You do you, but I opt to let my body take care of it whenever possible. It saves my immune system from unnecessary damage, it trains my immune system to be able to handle these antibiotic resistant bacteria, and it prevents further resistance, making the antibiotics more effective for the extreme cases where they're needed most.
Rampant abuse has lead to what epidemic? Covid? I thought we were talking about a spider bite

Latest posts

Top Bottom