Not For Squeamish - Spider got me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just fine. I got the horse pills but didn't take any because it was on the mend as @JR777 said. I don't want to contribute in the making of a super bug like in The Andromeda Strain. Not one symptom at all during this process. Didn't even find any spider remains.
The spider remains get absorbed by your immune system.

I kid, I kid (don't send the AMA after me). What you had was just a sebaceous cyst, no spiders involved. Basically an out of control whitehead. It happens when skin cells sluff off inwards. They start out white, and will eventually oxidize and turn black (blackhead). They often get infected and turn into a zit/boil.

This sounds counterintuitive, but the best way to get rid of them is to stop using antibacterial soap, or anything on your skin that will compromise the good bacteria that live there. Those good bacteria on your skin are the part of your immune system that keeps zits and stuff from happening. And once destroyed it takes weeks to regenerate. So most people are out there walking around with literally a third of their immune system permanently missing. And of course it doesn't just protect you from MRSA. It protects you from anything you might touch, including viruses.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The spider remains get absorbed by your immune system.

I kid, I kid (don't send the AMA after me). What you had was just a sebaceous cyst, no spiders involved. Basically an out of control whitehead. It happens when skin cells sluff off inwards. They start out white, and will eventually oxidize and turn black (blackhead). They often get infected and turn into a zit/boil.

This sounds counterintuitive, but the best way to get rid of them is to stop using antibacterial soap, or anything on your skin that will compromise the good bacteria that live there. Those good bacteria on your skin are the part of your immune system that keeps zits and stuff from happening. And once destroyed it takes weeks to regenerate. So most people are out there walking around with literally a third of their immune system permanently missing. And of course it doesn't just protect you from MRSA. It protects you from anything you might touch, including viruses.
You just described a situation I noticed while I was snoopin and poopin with the army types in the woods. The more "native" I became by not showering for days, the more the bugs left me alone. It was right after my refreshing soaped up showers that the bugs really attacked me.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You just described a situation I noticed while I was snoopin and poopin with the army types in the woods. The more "native" I became by not showering for days, the more the bugs left me alone. It was right after my refreshing soaped up showers that the bugs really attacked me.
Now that's interesting! I honestly don't know anything about the skin's microbiome as far as bug repellant goes, but it sure wouldn't surprise me if we have some natural immunity to repel insects that gets washed away with the harsh solvents we use in our soaps nowadays.

The source of the microbiome is bacteria that's dominant in soil. Obviously we're not born with it since the womb is completely sterile. Like our gut's microbiome it's something we develop as we age. So not surprising at all that being "dirty" out in nature would help to expedite the process.

In fact, there are deodorizers you can buy specifically for situations where you can't shower, and they're nothing but these probiotic strains of bacteria that are found in the soil, and the theory behind them is that they will rebuild your microbiome faster, and thus reduce the stink from the opportunistic stuff that overgrows in the absence of the dominant bacterial strains.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just fine. I got the horse pills but didn't take any because it was on the mend as @JR777 said. I don't want to contribute in the making of a super bug like in The Andromeda Strain. Not one symptom at all during this process. Didn't even find any spider remains.
Ha! If it WAS a spider, the bite probably killed it... :D

Glad yer all better, bud.
:drunk2:

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody knows for sure.
Has anyone bothered to look beyond a spider bite. This also sounds and looks very much like an infected hole left by a fully grown 'Screw-worm' (maggot) which is what a Bot Fly egg turns into after hatching.. Though the Bot Fly, which is more prevalent in South America, was erradicated from the United States but has made a recent comeback with occurances in Florida, Arkensas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Texas, and other places. My former spouse was diagnosed with a Screw-worm infestation while living in Arizona, a few years ago.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/7-reasons-flesh-eating-screwworms-are-as-gross-as-you-thinkhttps://www.oklahoman.com/article/3086012/larvae-take-up-residence-on-mans-headhttp://www.fao.org/3/u4220t/u4220T0a.htm

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone bothered to look beyond a spider bite. This also sounds and looks very much like an infected hole left by a fully grown 'Screw-worm' (maggot) which is what a Bot Fly egg turns into after hatching.. Though the Bot Fly, which is more prevalent in South America, was erradicated from the United States but has made a recent comeback with occurances in Florida, Arkensas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Texas, and other places. My former spouse was diagnosed with a Screw-worm infestation while living in Arizona, a few years ago.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/7-reasons-flesh-eating-screwworms-are-as-gross-as-you-thinkhttps://www.oklahoman.com/article/3086012/larvae-take-up-residence-on-mans-headhttp://www.fao.org/3/u4220t/u4220T0a.htm
Damn!

Latest posts

Top Bottom