Not sold in stores.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Nice!
I never understood being buried in the dirt in a cemetery.
Donate the dead body to science and nothing to get rid of.. or fry it into ashes and scatter them or whatever.
But to take up a plot of land that must be maintained around your dead butt makes ZERO sense.
You are a continuing burden.
And the body is not you after you are dead.. it is just meat and bones and hair.
I say get the boat coffin but make it from wood and launch and light it on fire.

When i was younger in my teens we talked about what to do with our bodies. I wanted to be cut up and fed to the sharks in the ocean.. Kind of a payback for all the fish I have eaten.

Ed Zachary... funerals are for the survivors. I say eff 'em, they can grieve how they want, but leave me out of it. Anyone who goes into debt for a funeral is... well, I won't pass too much judgement, I just think it's one of the dumbest things in life (haha) to spend money on. I feel the same about weddings - people spend $20k, $50k and more to marry off their daughters. Screw that, man. Unbelievably wasteful, IMNSHO. I realize to some people it might be worth it, but dang sure not to me.

My wife and I have said the same thing. No burial, coffin, blah blah blah. If they want a funeral, that's fine, but I have no interest in preserving my dead body.

I was so irritated at the funeral home people selling my parents stuff when my brother died. I was trying to convince them that since he loved the outdoors, to bury him in a pine box. But the funeral home guys convinced them that if they loved their son, they'd put him in something that would last longer. Grr...

My desire it for my ashes to be mixed with gunpowder, loaded into ammo, and fired across ranges all over. The Bible says "dust to dust"... is it wrong to try and keep my "dust" from returning to the earth?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I have said the same thing. No burial, coffin, blah blah blah. If they want a funeral, that's fine, but I have no interest in preserving my dead body.

I was so irritated at the funeral home people selling my parents stuff when my brother died. I was trying to convince them that since he loved the outdoors, to bury him in a pine box. But the funeral home guys convinced them that if they loved their son, they'd put him in something that would last longer. Grr...

My desire it for my ashes to be mixed with gunpowder, loaded into ammo, and fired across ranges all over. The Bible says "dust to dust"... is it wrong to try and keep my "dust" from returning to the earth?

OMG, I know! We pushed and pushed the funeral home guys with both my great-grandfather's and my step-father's funerals until they finally admitted they could "order in" a bottom end casket, which was a cloth-covered pine box. I thought it was still a nice-looking casket, it wasn't polished brass and mahogany, but it was also only like $400. Nowadays, you can almost run as much having someone cremated as an inexpensive funeral, but I just can't fathom spending thousands upon thousands for something like that.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Mom spent even more on Dad's when he passed. It made me sick. He never even spent that much on a car to use while he was alive. I couldn't see him wanting to spend that on a box when he was dead.

The pine box they had was still almost a grand I think.

I'm OK with a simple tombstone. Just name and dates. It's nice for people doing genealogies.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i1285.photobucket.com_albums_a589_caojyn_751B6AD8_4BA0_44EA_9291_2CD96BB68120_zps19omm6xk.jpg

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's also a service that will cremate you and then plant a tree in your ashes. This is actually pretty neat --- you become part of a tree.

I lost a brother two years ago and this is what we done. He was cremated. Me, my other brother, and sister, took some of the ashes and planted them in trees on our places. It makes a nice memorial and adds to the environment at the same time.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to do the funeral services for my father earlier this year and yes, a cremation can be a bit pricey, though nothing near to even a low end funeral though. We didn't have him interned, so that saved on cost. I think it also has to do with the funeral home. I think though that dealing with his estate was more expensive than the funeral, and he didn't have much. This day and age its expensive to be born, expensive to be raised, expensive to live and expensive to die. Meh.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Google "Walmart caskets," save some money if that is the way you want to go. Me I want to go with the cremation thing and be sprinkled around, let the fish get even one time. Get it over with rather than rotting for years. JMO

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buried my mother-in-law last year, Wife did not want to spend a lot for funeral (not because we couldn't afford it, she thought it was a waste) any way plot was already paid for but had to get casket. Least expensive was CARDBOARD!!!. we went with metal besides you still have to put the box in a concrete vault in OKC

killerpigeon

Native off the Reservation
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always said, throw me in a box, put one of those goofy ticking eye and tail wagging Garfield clocks in there with me and put me on the steps of the capital. That way, when they blow me up, it'll be their problem now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With regards to cremations, do your research. Wife's oldest sister's husband died in January of last year. They thought they were saving money by cremating, but it cost them something like $6000, if I remember what I was told correctly.

As for donating one's body to science, are there limitations as to the age of the decedent?

Any other limitations?